Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Friday, December 28, 2007

What I've forgotten in three years

1. How soft they are--their skin, their hair, everything

2. The funny noises they make when they a) fill their diaper, b) hiccup (like a squeak toy!) c) burp like a fraternity boy

3. How sometimes nothing irritates a baby's colon quite like a clean diaper

4. How very little they are--and it all works! Those tiny fingernails are actually growing

5. How many funny expressions they make. "I love you. You're the only competent one around here." Or "Who are you and why are you in my personal space?"

6. How tranquilizing it is to hold them. The narcolepsy sets in right after the epidural wears off.

7. That new-baby smell. Milk and warmth and newness.

8. Latching on isn't all oxytocin and fuzziness; sometimes it borders on pain even if only for a moment

9. As sleepy as they are, it doesn't last for more than four hours

10. It doesn't last forever. The good or the bad--none of it stays.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 7:41 AM, Blogger HISchild said...

Is it reminiscent of the new car smell?!

Sorry, just struck me funny! New babies have the best smell in the world except for the diaper part.

Ellen

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger momwithbrownies said...

And as they get older they get even cuter and say things like this...(this past week)

Me: Daxx, who is your brother?
Daxx: "Kazz, Brise, Vinze, Dale, Kole."
Me: Dale? Dale isn't your brother, honey. He's your friend."
Daxx: "Dale IS my brother!"
Me: Okay. He's a very good brother too, huh?
Daxx: "yep"

-----------

Grandpa: Vinnie if I tickle your knee and you laugh that means you have a girlfriend.
(tickles knee, Vinnie laughs) OH! Vinnie, who is she?"

Vinze: "Made...Ma..Nobody. I don't have one."

Me: OPE! Who's Made..Ma?"

Vinze: (turns purple and grins) I don't have a girlfriend. (snickers and runs off)

 
At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is why it is good to keep our memories... in blogs/journals/photos. You can make a blook of your blog even -- through self-publishing.

My kids are older but they've always loved to go back through scrapbooks and old videos. Who they are is a lot based on what we experienced in the forming of them.

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger CourageMan said...

All I can say is that it took me one day of holding a week-old in my arms to be able to (I think) discern through the diaper the difference between mere gas and actual ... uh ... substance.

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Sarah Reinhard said...

Me too, Heather, me too. Thanks for summarizing what I've been thinking for, oh, the last two months or so. :)

CONGRATS, by the way (sorry for being so behind in actually getting over here to say it!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home