Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Here's an easy scheduling question.

Short version: can a child/infant be baptized, non-emergency, on Christmas?

Here's the explanation. We know Louis will be born before Christmas. He'll even be home by then. My in-laws, God bless 'em, will be with us on Christmas Day. They will then proceed to warmer climes until after tax season.
Louis' godparents have a very young one of their own and they "hibernate" as much as possible during RSV season. They really like to avoid crowded Masses. I know from experience that our home parish is sparsely populated on Christmas Day. Everyone hits the Vigil Masses for convenience's sake, and Midnight Mass is more of a social gathering for the congregation than a Mass.
Anyway, I know the ones I'd really like to be there--my mom, my in-laws, and Louis' godparents--will be able to make it on Christmas Day if they're given enough notice. I just want to know if it's... licit? Valid? Possible?
This is a question because I know you can't get married in the Catholic Church on Good Friday or Holy Saturday. Maybe it's just that you can't have a Mass; I'm not a canon lawyer. I'm thinking baptism is different.

And yes, we could wait until later in the spring when the in-laws are back and hibernation is over, but frankly, I'd just rather not. Any help would be great.

UPDATE 12/17/07: We have an answer for the licitness of a baptism; and now we have it scheduled for after 10AM Mass on Christmas Day! Thanks to all for your help. And the calls begin...

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 3:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good question..& i see your dilemma..don't have the answer though but am sure someone has...earlier Baptism is naturally preferable..

 
At 4:25 AM, Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Ask your pastor!
I'm sure MY pastor would think it was a terrific idea. He'd want to do the baptism as part of the Mass (he always does) and he'd make it a very special occasion. He encourages parents to have their children baptized at Mass, and he makes sure to remind everyone there that we are ALL responsible to help the little one grow up in the faith.

When I was getting ready to have Middle Sister, I was scheduled to be induced on 12/26. The pastor at the time saw me coming into church on Christmas, asked how I was doing, and promptly informed me that I was to "stay after" Mass and he would anoint me, right in front of the church Nativity scene.

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger Melanie Bettinelli said...

I can't think of a reason why not, except your pastor's preference. I'd ask sooner rather than later.

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Heather said...

We're going to have to call at some point. The snow has made a trip to Mass this morning more hazardous than recommended, especially in my condition.

It does really appeal,though, doesn't it? :)

 
At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry -- what's RSV season? Revised Standard Version? I didn't know a Bible translation had a 'season'.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Heather said...

RSV:
http://www.rsvprotection.com/

While there ARE translations out there one would want to keep from one's children, the Revised Standard Version isn't on that list.

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Jeff Miller said...

I am pretty sure there are no canon law restrictions as far as dates go.

 
At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not aware of any impediment, but I can find out for sure tomorrow if you like. My guess is it would be strictly a question of pastor/parish preference (i.e. my parish chooses not to schedule wedding Masses during the Easter octave, which is why I won't be getting married on Divine Mercy Saturday). However, they will have non-Mass weddings.

Definitely ask your pastor. I think if you explain the circumstances, he's likely to agree.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home