Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

We're back from the doc's.

Medical intervention isn't happening before the 19th. Despite him being seven pounds, according to last week's ultrasound. Nuts.

If my blood pressure were through the roof, or I were out-of-control diabetic, then they could induce before 38 weeks. Seems this whole "wonderful, uneventful, healthy pregnancy" bit has a downside.

If I go on my own before then, though, they won't stop it. I know a couple of home remedies that are supposed to help move things along, bumpy roads having been discredited by a sister-in-law. Two were recommended by my OB today. What were they? Use your imagination--I try most of the time to keep this blog PG. Is that enough of a hint?

Just to keep all of you up to date, nope, I'm not in labor. Yet.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 4:12 PM, Blogger Catherine said...

Yep, and those ultrasounds can be off by up to a pound at this point. Mary was 7lbs 11oz at 39 weeks, according to the ultrasound. Born, finally, at 41 and 1/2 weeks at 9 lbs, 4.3 oz. My doctor, upon seeing her: Catherine, I think you made the right choice opting for the c-section! (since I'm 5'4" and couldn't get past 6 the first time, with a 7 lb, 14 oz baby)

I've heard from a couple of acquaintances that those "home remedies" work really well. Haven't had much luck with them, myself. Good Luck!

 
At 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, my doc recommended the old "Italian induction" to my husband at our last prenatal visit. My husband decided that guy is the best.doctor.ever.

But, hey, it worked. Baby was born the next day.

 
At 6:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard Reese's PB cups, consumed in large quantities, can help. I have no idea if it's true, but hey, if you like 'em, why not try it? :-)

I also remember hearing a morning talk-radio host claiming that Olive Garden salad dressing induces labor, because several women all showed up in premature labor and the only thing they had in common was having eaten salad at the Olive Garden the night before. I'm sure you can see the glaring holes even a non-scientific mind could punch in that one, but again: if you like it, why not try it?

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Catherine--you're the second person to tell me the ultrasound underestimated the size of the baby. All the more reason to get him out sooner! :)

Sarah--The nurse yesterday asked me about being on "pelvic rest." I didn't know what that was, but she clarified "No sex," whispering the second word since the kids were in the room. "Oh, no! Doc encouraged it to move things along!"
Seems the other doc I'd seen the day before Thanksgiving had written it in my chart. Husband, when I told him last night, said, "Quackery! No WHAT? Absolute quackery! I want a second opinion!"

Kasia--I'll be sketchy about the OG salad dressing. I like it, but my gut says it's probably some kind of contamination.
I'm up for the Reese's, though! :)

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger Catherine said...

I'll have to remember the Reese's thing. They're my absolute favorite (even beat oreos)!

Heather, the ultrasound underestimated Mary's size, but overestimated Kasandra's, I think. At 37 weeks they had her at just over 7 lbs, and she was born at 39 at 7 lbs 14 oz. And this was after my doctor reccomended induction because he was worried about a difficult birth because of her large size. You just never know!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home