Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Friday, December 07, 2007

Winter growth

I'm tired of being pregnant. I'm tired of keeping my shoes on all day for fear of not getting them on when I need to because my feet are swelled. I miss being able to sleep on my back. I miss my regular clothes. I miss my husband. I miss being able to walk at my usual pace without my back hurting. I miss washing the dishes without bumping my belly against the counter. I'm tired of deliberating about picking something I drop off the floor. I'm ready to be done carrying Louie around everywhere and always.

I'm tired too of my kids being sick. Madeleine and Dale have had this wet-but-unproductive cough for some time; his was bad enough to be croup and she needed amoxycillin for strep as well. Now, finally, Rachel is starting up with it. So we can't go visit friends or to activities for fear of cross contamination. It's tricky for me to get them out for a walk around the block when we get a quarter of the way around and it sounds like a day trip for a tuberculosis ward, but I've done it for my own sanity's sake.

But that's how He does things, isn't it? Learning and growth take place at the edge of frustration. Just when we think we have reached our very limit, when we crumple to our knees with the cry of "Eloi, Eloi, lema sabbacthani?" we hear His voice. When we have seen the absolute darkness around us, He comes with a light to guide us through. We don't notice His light in the day, but only when our night comes.

So be it. God, grant me strength to joyfully, patiently, and prayerfully finish out this winter. To welcome the little boy in my womb to my arms. To appreciate the stark beauty of the snow, the sparkle of the icicles, the gratitude of a warm house.
Amen.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i struggled with my last 3...

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Peanut Butter Kisses said...

Thanks for that reminder...the light comes in the darkness. We are having a bit of a day here and I needed to be reminded of that.

Keep your chin up...you are almost there, my friend!

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Melanie Bettinelli said...

"I miss being able to walk at my usual pace without my back hurting... I'm tired of deliberating about picking something I drop off the floor."

Me too. And I've still got the better part of three months to go!

But thanks for the beautiful reflection about light in the darkness. I needed that after a week of below freezing weather and iced over sidewalks that are impassible for the stroller (can't take long walks without it or I may end up carrying Bella home... see hurting back and picking things up) that have kept us trapped inside.

 
At 5:25 AM, Blogger Valerie said...

Amen!

I have felt like such a baby with a couple of sick kids the past week. DH asks what is wrong, and all I can muster as a response is "I'm TIRED." {whine, whine, whine}. Five weeks left for me...

Hang in there, you don't have much longer to wait. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home