Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Friday, December 14, 2007

It's early and it feels like a long day.

No, it's not the kids. They are contentedly playing on the floor with Hot Wheels cars, an empty tangerine crate, and a cardboard box. All three of them.
I have three loads of laundry to put away, dishes to put away and wash, a floor to sweep, a bedroom to tidy so we have room for the sidecar--strange, I have books there--along with lunch and dinner to tend to and clean up after, school to do or at least try.
We want to do the same thing as last year and not have to grocery shop the weekend right before Christmas, so I have a two-week menu to plan. And tomorrow is Lunch with Santa.

Of course, he had to go to work today. I've had one contraction in the past two hours, so he'd really better go. While it was disappointing to come out of the hospital still pregnant yesterday, I did get to spend a number of hours with my best friend discussing the book he's reading and my feelings and fears about this birth. Those times are hard to come by.

I'm trying to find some deeper meaning to this dirge, but all I can come up with is it's a lesson in gratitude. Days like this make me grateful for Wednesday when the sun was shining and we got out for a walk. Or Tuesday when we actually got some school done.
Or even yesterday, when I got to spend some time with my beloved. Even though everything didn't happen that I wanted, let's see the cup as half full.

Labels: ,


At 8:34 AM, Blogger Catherine said...

I really wanted one of those! I wish the money had been there. We make do with port-a-cribs, and our bedroom is big enough that it doesn't get in the way. But it would be so cool not to have to get up to get the baby! My girls have not been co-sleepers, since they absolutely must be on their stomachs to sleep (I think because of snoring). Oh well. It's all for the best, since Mary was almost too long for the port-a-crib at one year, so she'd probably have been out of a sidecar by six months anyway.

Good luck! How you got to be lucky enough not to have serious morning sickness AND go early is beyond me, but I know those last days can be frustrating (as I'm one with the sickness and apparently no ability to start labor on my own). I'm trying not to be envious, but I think I'm failing...

At 8:38 AM, Blogger Diane said...

Hang in there - the wait will be over soon! And remember, I have Monday in the birthday pool :)

At 8:41 AM, Blogger Heather said...

My OB just says I'm made to have babies. :)

She admitted Tuesday, though, that she gets talked about at meetings because she'll induce at 38 weeks. Other hospitals around here won't let docs induce before 40 except for the health conditions I mentioned before. She said "Large for gestational age" isn't enough to go before then.

Thanks for the perspective, Catherine. This motherhood thing is hard; if we don't stick together, we all fall apart. :)

At 10:19 AM, Blogger Amy said...


I remember the last two weeks of my pregnancy - first I was hit with a nasty bout of gastroenteritis, and then nosebleeds. Serious nosebleeds that sent me to the ER in bloody clothes. Thankfully, neither was caused by or harmed the pregnancy or CJ, but it was hard.

Also, I had sciatica, which was so bad the last two weeks I could barely walk. All that and I didn't have other children!

So hang in there. I stop by the blogs several times a day because I'm thinking about you and waiting for Louie's arrival!

Let me know how the co-sleeper works, as I'd like to have one for the next baby.


Post a Comment

<< Home