Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Movie meme?

My husband has tagged me for a meme: "five critically-lauded movies that I happen to detest."

One slight problem. I've never listened to critics of movies and can't remember ones they've liked. Come on. If I listened to critics, I wouldn't have seen Howard the Duck, Night of the Demons, Highlander II, or First Knight at the theater.
Yep, more time and money than sense in those high school years. My husband describes my movie viewing history as "omnivorous."

Five movies the critics liked that I didn't? I can probably come up with the reverse, ones I think are great that nobody's heard of. And only one will be foreign.

1. Max et Jérémie. I saw this one overseas and I'd love to have it on DVD to watch it again. Noiret plays a hit man ready to leave the business, Lambert is the protégé. I'll admit, since it was 15 years ago, I'd probably want it with subtitles. My French is a tad rusty.

2. Real Genius. I know, my beloved, it's the free-spirits-versus-squares. Sort of. Youthful creativity overcoming old age corruption? At least it doesn't involve idealization of any ethnic groups.

3. Galaxy Quest. I've said I'm not a geek, but I speak it? Yeah. I have lived with these people.

4. Legend. Another I saw in the theater. It's pretty predictable, but to a 13-year-old girl, this was AWESOME. Remember the character in Dodgeball? "I like... unicorns." I could so identify there. Seriously. I wanted to BE Mia Sara, and I didn't even like Tom Cruise.

5. Some Kind of Wonderful. I think it's the least known of the John Hughes oeuvre, partly because it doesn't include Molly Ringwald. It offers hope to the poor, geeky girls. It reminds a girl she's better off alone than with an irredeemable jerk. And first kisses really can mean something.

Since I twisted it, I'm not tagging anyone. But at least I responded.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 5:46 AM, Blogger Catherine said...

I'm so glad someone else liked Some Kind of Wonderful! I love Eric Stolz because of that movie! And Mary Stuart Masterson with Christian Slater is the reason I sat through the highly forgettable movie with the silver roses or something... Ergh, forgot the name, but the theme was "too much perfection" or something. Bed of Roses!

And Real Genius rivals Major League for quotability in my opinion. Um, Howard the Duck? I was forced to sit through that one on video. And since I was a kid, there was no throwing popcorn at the screen.

 
At 8:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll never forgive George Lucas for "Howard the Duck."

Oh, I've never seen the movie, and have no idea if it's as bad as I've heard. But I DO know that before that movie came out, my old Howard the Duck comic books were worth a lot of money, and afterward, I couldn't GIVE them away!

Tastes in movies vary, but Business is business- Lucas cost me a lot of money! Ergo, I hate that movie with a passion.

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Zach said...

"Highlander II -- There should have been only One."

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Banshee said...

Dungeons & Dragons 2.

Yes, I know. But it's a whole different story than the first one with a whole different cast. It was written and directed by a true gaming fan pretty much with his own money, and it truly redeems the idea of a movie franchise. There's even a truly touching love story involved.

Awesome trap scene, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home