Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

What shall I feed you today?

I was asked about something Irish for Menu Monday last night. Two problems with that: 1) My husband has had an awful week beginning last Wednesday, which is why this is late; and 2) British cooking is awful. Absolutely terrible. There's a reason Brits are a skinny, pale people. And when was the last time you heard of a British restaurant? They boil EVERYTHING. Directions for a British meal: Take your food. Boil to the point of not recognizing it. Simmer five more minutes. Serve and try to eat. Have salt on hand.
Except breakfast; they do well for breakfast.

Since Easter is coming and so many folks have ham, I thought this might timely. It's from Coffee and Cale, Four Ingredients.

Hawaiian Baked Pork
4 pork chops
2 c crushed pineapple
3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
2 Tb brown sugar

Layer pineapple with juice in greased baking dish, with sweet potatoes sprinkled with the brown sugar on top. Then place the chops on top. Bake covered at 350 for an hour, uncovered 450 for ten minutes.
It's been a while since I made this one. I remember putting the chops in first but I think it took longer.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 11:23 AM, Blogger Amy said...

Directions for a British meal: Take your food. Boil to the point of not recognizing it. Simmer five more minutes. Serve and try to eat. Have salt on hand.

You have the greatest sense of humor. That was priceless.

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger HISchild said...

I don't know. I had boiled bacon in Ireland for breakfast.

Not something I want to repeat!

E

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger Banshee said...

But you're supposed to boil it in a _hole in the ground_. That's what makes Fenian food yummy. :)

Corned beef and cabbage is the stereotype, of course, but salmon and soda bread is pretty darned yummy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home