Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Kid-inspired varia

Madeleine thinks Yoda sounds like Fozzie Bear. She's pretty smart, I think.

Harry Crocker described the Dark Ages forests in Eastern Europe something like, "dark enough to drive men mad."
Considering this, it makes sense that so many fairy tales are so dark. Hansel and Gretel, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty... We've got cannibalistic witches, evil stepmothers, murderous queens, and a whole castle going missing for a century. Brothers Grimm, indeed.
Makes me wonder if native American tribes had similar tales. The Big Woods of Wisconsin couldn't have been too different, probably. And we've found Macchu Picchu. Well, not us, but other experts.
Oh, and I learned recently from Maureen Wittman that the Cinderella story is told in lots of different cultures. I can get that, too. I don't remember whether it was her blog or her book, For the Love of Literature.

Quick science question: What kind of rock is turquoise? Not sedimentary, I'm sure. I'm guessing metamorphic but it could be igneous. A certain budding geologist has asked.

4 Comments:

At 11:51 AM, Blogger Melanie Bettinelli said...

Wikipedia says: "As a secondary mineral, turquoise apparently forms by the action of percolating acidic aqueous solutions during the weathering and oxidation of pre-existing minerals."

Wow, that technical language is beyond me. I guess that's metamorphic? Wish I knew more about geology.

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Yep, that's metamorphic.
Igneous is cooled lava or magma; sedimentary is... obvious.
Metamorphic is when either of those are changed from their original.

Thanks!

 
At 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They just found a totally forgotten, mostly aboveground, 80-acre Roman villa site in an English wood, outside Peterborough, that wasn't even particularly dark and overgrown.

 
At 5:34 AM, Blogger Maureen said...

I'm not even sure where I wrote about the Cinderella unit :-). I think it was For the Love of Literature. It was really fun to explore all the different versions with the kids and chat about them. I just went to the library's website and put in Keyword: Cinderella. I put 40 books on hold! My library clerks love me -- lol.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home