Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Monday, March 24, 2008

She even does side dishes!

I admit I haven't tried this one, but I will be this week. My mouth is watering...

Sweet Potato and Apple Bake
6 large sweet potatoes, peeled, sliced, boiled
6 tart apples, peeled and sliced
1/2 c margarine
1/2 c brown sugar

Grease casserole with part of margarine. Layer potatoes, dot with margarine and sprinkle with brown sugar, layer apple slices. Repeat, ending with potatoes, margarine and brown sugar. Bake 30-45 minutes at 350 or until potatoes are tender and browned. Serves 8-10.
From Coffee and Cale's Four Ingredient Cookbook.

Doesn't that just sound scrumptious? I'll admit, though, I probably won't peel the sweet potatoes. The only thing I peel for my kids is bananas, but when baking I'll peel apples. I tried to make apple crunch once without peeling and it made it difficult to portion out.
And yes, before you ask, I'll try to remember the apple crunch recipe next week.

UPDATE 4/11/08: Read this first. Six sweet potatoes and six apples is enough to feed a small army. A more reasonable amount is probably two of each. That should fill an 8x11 pan. You may want more butter as well, but the brown sugar should still be enough.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 4:04 PM, Blogger Kasia said...

I didn't know you could eat sweet potato peels. They seem kind of like banana or orange peels to me...pretty unappetizing...

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Kasia said...

Oops, forgot to mention that the recipe DOES sound yummy...but I'll peel my sweet potatoes, thanks. ;-)

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Sweet potato skins seem much like regular potato skins. I just assume that's where the fiber is.

And you know where the rind comes from, in a recipe that calls for it? Lemon or orange.

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Zach said...

That does sound good.

Boiled? Shouldn't that bake time work without pre-boiling the sweet potatoes? Or am I just crazy?


peace,

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Heather said...

That's kind of what I was thinking too, Zach. Moving boiled sweet potato slices doesn't sound like much fun.

Hey, we could both try it and meet back here next week, eh?

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Kasia said...

Yeah, but isn't it usually just the very outer part of the rind (as opposed to the bitter inner part)?

Sweet potato skins seem thicker and tougher than regular potato skins. But your kids are probably much healthier than I am. And considering that I barely know how to cook, I would definitely take anything I say about cooking with a grain of salt... :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home