Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Boys break things.

I've had one for almost five years and I've finally figured that out. [Shelly, you can quit laughing now.]
It's not malice, either. "How fast will this go?" "How many times can I hit this with that?" "How far will this stretch?"

They leave off the rest of the sentence: before it breaks. Try it.
"How fast will this go... before it breaks?"
"How many times can I hit this with that... before it breaks?"
"How far will this stretch... before it breaks?"

See what I mean?

They aren't trying to be destructive, they're just testing limits. While the girls are content to play with things quietly, or gently, boys want to see what it can do. They're natural experimenters. when it breaks, they know where they should have stopped. Never mind that it's broken.

All toddlers test their parents' limits, I know. And yes, I can see all of those sociosexual dynamics and learned gender roles and all that coming out. Right.
But where I live, it's the boy who puts every toy through its paces. Sometimes, they break. Sometimes, they just move faster than he thought, or stretch farther, or sustain more hits. Once in a while, Mom stops him before real damage is done. The rest of the time, I see the wheels turning, planning his next test. "What will happen if..."

Maybe it'll break.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 10:53 AM, Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

So true!!
Wait until he's 16.....

My husband fondly remembers the time he or his brother got a "Stretch Armstrong" toy. You can guess what they did with it. They HAD to break it. They had to know how far it would stretch, and what was inside. After that, it just didn't matter that they no longer had the toy.

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger momwithbrownies said...

LOL

Yes indeed, I was laughing! :-)

God gives us boys to remind us that things are just things but a growing mind is priceless.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home