Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Monday, February 11, 2008

New feature?

You regular readers--and those who know me in real life--know I can't ever do something without an explanation or background story. I get it from my mother. Though it drives me nuts when she does it, I can't stop myself. Husband has learned to live with it and I've actually gotten better about it since college.

This new feature I'm thinking of has the working title of Menu Monday. I've never done anything like this, but Danielle Bean has her "Your Turn" weekly questions and Milehimama has Works for Me Wednesdays, Friday Fun, and Montessori Mondays, so why not?

I like to think I'm a pretty good cook; my kids all tell me so. I have a fair share of cookbooks as well, though not a whole bookshelf like SFO Mom. Mine have titles like The Four Ingredient Cookbook, Campbell Soup's Simply Delicious, and The Fix-it-and-Forget-it Cookbook. Yeah, I have one on French cooking, one on Indian cooking, and a soup one with a recipe that involves saffron strings, but those don't get used much.

Anyway. This whole idea is inspired by Shelly telling me I should put up a recipe a week from the first one up there, and as long as I credit it, it's not violating copyright laws. Like an excerpt or something. Just in case, I'll just start with a four-ingredient one inspired by Coffee and Cale.

Heather's Crock-Pot Chicken
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 pound baby carrots
1 pound brussels sprouts
2 cans Italian tomatoes--diced or stewed, your choice

Put all of it in your crock pot on low for the day, 8-9 hours. You can use frozen or fresh on the first three ingredients, and if you want it juicier use chicken thighs. Even if you don't like brussels sprouts, the tomato flavorings seep in and they're actually quite palatable.

Anyway. Tell me what you think of the recipe or the idea.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 7:23 AM, Blogger Kasia said...

I love the idea. I'll have to let you know about the recipe...I just bought a bag of frozen chicken breasts, so maybe I'll make it this weekend. :-)

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

As a rule, I like anything involving Brussels sprouts! But I'd be the only one eating it here...I might have to make a pot of it and enjoy it for several days of lunches, though.

There is a Menu Plan Monday thing set up at http://orgjunkie.com/

It's so huge, though, that I have found it overwhelming and stopped participating. Last week there were 254 participants. I can't sit and read that many menus! I do post my own each week at my food blog
http://sfomomfridge.blogspot.com

I'd enjoy participating in one of these on a smaller scale.

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Heather said...

254?! That's a bit much!

I don't have the time to post a whole menu, either. I'm thinking one recipe a week!

Oh, and you reminded me, Barb. This is one that actually is better the second day.

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger momwithbrownies said...

YAY!!

I'm loving the idea.

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger HISchild said...

Sounds good to me too!!!

Ellen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home