Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Sunday, February 03, 2008

Has any reader ever donated...

breast milk? Seriously.

I've never lacked for supply, to word it tactfully. Dear husband has jested that I could put out small (or not so small, depending on how brave he's feeling) fires. He's exaggerating, but not too much.
I've donated blood before, upward of four gallons. With the kids, though, I've had to defer that.
And there was all of the trouble Lily's mom went through trying to nurse her last year.

I've found a couple organizations that can help but I have no frame of reference. Sure, they sound easy. This one sends a quarter of donations to Africa, which is fine with me. They are involved with another company that seems more research-oriented and I'm curious about that.
This one keeps all of the milk here in the States, to go to babies in the NICU--also laudable. They even provide a pump. I already have one of these, though, so that isn't really a factor. Mine is six years old but I'm the only one to have used it.

Anyway. I imagine La Leche League would help but this is kind of short notice for their next local meeting. This isn't really a time-sensitive issue, so you can do your research. Thanks for the input!

Side note: The fact that this poor woman has to specify for whom the milk is NOT is sad.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 3:56 PM, Blogger Kasia said...

Not to be flip, but are breast milk donations within the U.S. tax-deductible?

Just wondering...

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Heather said...

I think only monetary donations are deductible. Milk is more like blood--no money for the donor. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home