Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Thursday, June 14, 2007

The Meme

This is the 30 Things That Don't Bother Me/I Don't Worry About Meme. I've been noodling it for a few days and it's really tough to come up with them. I promptly forget things that don't bother me, frankly. But here goes.

1. The breast-versus-bottle argument. Just because none of my kids ever got formula doesn't mean I think it's child abuse. Unless you're going to lecture me on the propriety of public nursing; then I'll sic La Leche League on your a$$.

2. Misspelling my kids' names on birthday cards. As yet, they're really too young to get upset. And hey, you sent a card.

3. Bad/reality TV. Pardon the redundancy. See, my TV has a channel changer and an OFF switch.

4. Dirty kids' clothes. As long as they were clean when they put them on, they really aren't meant to last forever.


5. Reading the same children's book over and over and over and... It motivates me to make sure the kids have good books.


6. My kids ruining their appetite for lunch with... fruit.


7. Child safety seat laws.


8. Crying children in church. It could be mine.


9. Cheap coffee. I put so much milk and sugar in anyway, the original flavor doesn't matter much.


10. Hand-me-down clothes for the kids. It has to do with #4 above.


11. Pulling over for emergency vehicles.

12. Trips to the dentist.

13. Bible-quoting evangelicals. We Catholics can take a few tips from them, namely: we should know The Good Book better and we ought to be more open about our Faith.

14. Having only one TV in the house. More than one bathroom would be nice, though.

15. Taking prenatal vitamins.

16. Feeling the baby move. Even when it's kicking the bladder (which hasn't happened yet this time).

17. Global warming. Sure, I reduce, reuse, and recycle, but if the Goracle's pet cause is powered by solar energy and evaporation of the oceans, how much can I change it?

18. Celebrity misadventures/breakups/etc. The only exception, really, is Katie Holmes. I pray for that poor girl. And Diana's boys.

19. Changing my own kids' diapers. Sure, sometimes it's inconvenient and/or messy, but there really are a finite amount of times you end up doing it.

20. Listening to my kids sing their own compositions. Even when it's Hiawatha mixed with the Song of Roland Extended Dance Remix, in the original Old French.

21. My son's fascination with bugs.

22. My daughters' fascination with dressing like princesses.

23. Getting asked for ID when writing a check.

24. Guitar masses. The Church survived before them, She'll survive after them. Nobody's singing anyway.

25. Long car trips. Provided bathroom stops for the kids are convenient enough and the weather is good.

26. Loopy Piskies. They're a wonderful source of teaching moments.

27. Catholic Traditionalists. Trying to make mainstream more of what I was cheated of. Here, here!

28. Other people's dogs barking. They're usually too far away to wake my kids.

Okay, I've devoted WAY too much time to this. I know it's supposed to be 30, but I have things to do! I'm tagging Shelly, Heather (Matt's wife), Peanut Butter Heather, and Zach. I'd like to tag Diane, but she's got enough to do! Just let us know in the comments box when you're done, eh?

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At 8:46 AM, Blogger Diane said...

Loopy Piskies!? *blink*

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger momwithbrownies said...

What's a Loopy Piskie?

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Loopy Episcopalians.
Zach probably can explain better than I; he's managed to get away from them. :)

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Zach said...

Yes, but the scars haven't completely healed yet, so I can't put that on my list.

It's hard to understand the deep, deep loopiness of The Episcopal Church, because your mind really shies away from it. Sort of like something Lovecraftian -- it's familiar, yet alien and you want to believe it can't be as bad as all that.

Until it sucks your soul and replaces you with an identical-looking podperson, blathering cliche's about "diversity" and "dialogue" and being proud of how diverse we all are together, we like-thinkers.

(*ahem*)

Like I said, the scars are still there.

But really, in what other "church" can you find such wonderful loopiness as:

1. An atheist bishop (Spong)
2. A pantheist bishop (Swing)
3. A bishop willing to invoke Hecate and other pagan gods in worship (Swing again, in an interfaith/ecumaniacal service)
4. A Muslim bishop (Chane, sort of - includes the Quran when he refers to "scripture")
5. An honest-to-Allah Muslim priest(ess)
6. A husband/wife clergy duo who double as druidic priest/priestesses for their other flock
7. A national office office of wymyn's ... something that proposes a new liturgy incorporating elements of Asherah worship.

And this is all before mentioning the fabulous Bishop Vicki Gene Robinson.

Oh, and did I mention we picked up Fr. Matthew Fox? (He's in Swing's diocese - go figure.)

You can't make stuff like this up.

Really, it's an astounding concentration of loopiness in one small (and getting smaller by the day) denomination.


peace,

 
At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

30 things! YIKES!

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger PB said...

23. Getting asked for ID when writing a check.

Who really writes a check anymore? Isn't that why we have debit cards?

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger momwithbrownies said...

Alrighty my meme is completed. :-)
That took some time my dear friend!

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger HISchild said...

Loopy Piskies. Thanks for 'splainin. Was beginning to wonder about your choice of breakfast cereal. ;)

Ellen

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger Zach said...

Ellen,

I have been known to refer to a generic "Fr. Frootloop" when explaining things (both zany Episcopalian and zany Catholic), so the confusion is understandable.

:)


peace,

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger Peanut Butter Kisses said...

Ok, after much consideration, I've finally finished the meme. Now I need a nap!

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Matthew A. Siekierski said...

My Heather posted hers, but forgot to let you know.

It's here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home