Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Monday, January 29, 2007

From the lighter side... country music

In the summer of 1995, I went to three concerts: Nine Inch Nails, Depeche Mode, and Hank Williams Jr. (Cue Sesame Street's One of These Things is Not Like the Others). While I'd heard the likes of Kenny Rogers, Willie Nelson, Dolly Parton, and John Denver, my ignorance of country music was quite profound. It was bad enough that I actually asked, "Are we going to see Hank Williams, or Hank Williams Jr.?" Through their laughter, both my gentleman friend and mother managed to inform me that a Hank Williams show would be either very boring or very gruesome as he'd been dead for some time.
Eh.
While we were waiting for the concert to begin, the sponsoring radio station was playing over the loudspeakers. My ears perked up.
"I know this song," I said. What was it? I listened harder.
Down, down, down, and the flames got higher... so familiar....
It burns, burns, burns...

"Hey!" I finally got it! "Social Distortion does this song!"
After a quick look around to make sure nobody had heard, my date said, "That may be true, but this is Johnny Cash, and he wrote it."

3 Comments:

At 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminds me of 2003 when Gretchen Wilson's "Redneck Woman" was popular. I couldn't figure out who she was talking about when she said "I know all the words to every old Bocephus song." My husband, a huge fan of Hank Williams Jr., got a pretty big kick out of my ignorance of who Bocephus is.

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger Kasia said...

Hey, I went to Nine Inch Nails in 1995 too! Well, New Year's Eve 1994, anyway. (My sister is really glad I got over my NIN phase...)

Reminds *me* of a friend's younger sister, who in the early '90s heard "Under Pressure" on the radio and said "Hey, they're ripping off Vanilla Ice!" :-p

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Heather said...

I HATED Vanilla Ice. Once while driving I couldn't get the radio station changed fast enough... and realized it wasn't him.
It was a double-edged sword. It was great to hear Queen (at that point, I only knew the Highlander soundtrack), but I also realized how smarmy VI was.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home