Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Monday, January 22, 2007

Kids updates

In descending order:
Madeleine is doing well school-wise. At our current rate, we'll be completely done with the kindergarten curriculum by Easter (she's already in first grade math). We'll be adding geography with the official start this spring and I anticipate liking the first grade science a lot more than the kindergarten.
We have entered the world of dance recitals: Maddie's in ballet. If you ask her, she's "been practicing for years," though she's only had two lessons. She loves it and looks adorable in her pink leotard and tights. I'll post a picture as soon as we have one developed.

Dale is coming along slowly speech-wise. He's looking forward to the surgery primarily for the ice cream and Popsicles, hearing notwithstanding. His therapist cautioned that it may not be the magic bullet. After some research, though, she found that kids with enlarged adenoids being mouth-breathers, their mouth muscles aren't as strong as they should be thus resulting in some speech impairment. I'm looking forward to the results.
We did start a little bit of "school" with him, trying to get him to identify the letters of his name. It seemed pretty easy since he wanted to do his whole name, not just the four letters. "Where's the third?" Not only that, he knows his phone number. He answered when Madeleine asked me.

Rachel is still all attiTWOde and thus we haven't started potty training. She's stubborn. If it's her idea, she'll take to it like a duck to water. If she's pushed, it could take years. Eh. I've dealt with two in diapers before, so I'm not feeling any particular rush.
She is remarkably articulate, though. This evening she wanted some stickers open. "Mama, we need scissors to open this." Okay, this was more dis, but you would have had no problem understanding her.

The player to be named later seems to still be in place. This week's ultrasound is at 10:10 AM Thursday and we should be able to see someone. According to Tsiaras' From Conception to Birth, 48 days is 16mm long and has wrists, eyelids, ears, and obvious starts of fingers and toes. I'm not expecting to see all that, but something more than "I think that's it" would be just great. And my OB didn't have any problem with me going on prenatal vitamins. I'm looking for reasons to be optimistic, and that's one more for the list.

There you have it, my world in four paragraphs.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 4:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As the mother of a 3 and 1/2 year old that still refuses to potty train, I agree with your tactics with Rachel. I tried to jump on it the first time she asked me for a new diaper... last summer. Now, if you ask her "would you like to go on the potty?" she says, "no, thank you please"... adamantly.

Best of luck with all of them.

And a question. With letters, do you teach reading with the capital letters or do you try to get them to distinguish between upper and lower case first? My daughter knows all of her letters and most of her numbers through 10, so I'm polling people to see which next step has worked for them best.

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger Heather said...

With Madeleine, I admit to not doing much of anything about introducing upper or lower case letters. I read to them a lot and left the rest up to the preschool, where they seem to have combined both. She still has a tendency to use all caps for her name, but we're working on that.

As to Dale, we worked with all-caps foamy letters, the sticky ones for scrapbooking? I got a bucket at Michael's for about $5. And Rachel is starting to recognize some caps; the large ones at the beginning of paragraphs, for example. W seems to be her favorite, but she points out O and A, too.

And best of luck with yours, too!

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger Terry said...

Continued prayers for Player to be Named Later.

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Keeping you & your Precious Cargo in prayers!

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger momwithbrownies said...

Our boys used to watch the
Leap Frog Letter Factory DVD when they were 2 years old. I can't recommend that video highly enough.

At about 4 years of age I recommend making flash cards with Dolch Words starting with pre-primer. Master those and then add the next list.

http://www.manatee.k12.fl.us/sites/elementary/palmasola/dolchflash.htm

(I printed the list and pasted to posterboard and then cut them out) That sets the ball rolling quite quickly for reading.

Hope that helps someone. :-)

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Diane said...

Looks like I should have had that talk with Maddie about wearing pink... it's clearly too late now :)

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Madeleine is okay with pink; our choices were pink or black leotards. I personally wanted black but they didn't have her size.

It's Rachel, of all people, whose favorite color is "pint". She has such a tomboy attitude I think it's deliberate deception.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home