Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Montessori and education

I've started hearing recently about Montessori education. For years it was just a big Italian name on the front of some day care centers and schools; Milehimama's Montessori Mondays and another friend have put me on to the idea. We're starting to contemplate preschool ideas for our son, frankly.
So I started doing research, and have decided I want a book to read on my own about Maria Montessori, her methods and philosophy (don't laugh, any of you who have seen my house and the number of books we already have). I've found there are almost 1600 listed at Amazon, both by and about her. Even ones titled Montessori for the New Millenium.
Now, let me share a little secret about the education establishment. I've called my dog "ecologically aware" when she recycles; she's got nothing on those folks. Back in the day, we were at a staff meeting being told of some new philosophy or practice that was going to Make the Difference We Needed. One seasoned teacher two years from retirement politely raised her hand. "What did this used to be called?"
I'm convinced revised, updated Montessori is going to be stripped down, tinkered-with, altered and unrecognizable to the original Italian lady. I may be wrong, but experience says otherwise.
We're old-fashioned (Dale prefers the term "classic"). Give me the original.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 9:39 AM, Blogger Milehimama @ Mama Says said...

I'd go right to the source -
"The Montessori Method" by Maria Montessori herself!
I've heard the "Secret of Childhood" also be her is good, but I have just read it in fits and starts.
"The Absorbent Mind" is also very enlightening, but is a more philosophical/psychology type book.
If you are wanting to implement Montessori type things into the every day, Elizabeth Hainstock's "Montessori in the Home: The Preschool Years" is the best. I got mine on eBay for $4. It tells how to make materials from everyday stuff (Montessori equipment is amazingly expensive!) and how to present each lesson. It's also small and user friendly!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home