Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Sunday, February 24, 2008

I woke up with cramps...

five years ago today. They're just cramps, they'll go away, I thought. I have to go in to work. April my sub is going to be there so I can go over where we are before my maternity leave starts Wednesday. I couldn't be in labor; I was only 38 weeks. Besides, I was going in to be induced in 36 hours. Not in labor.

At least it was earlier than usual. I was calculating when I could leave and arrive after Chuck the custodian; he's the one who would unlock the doors. I didn't want to wait in the car. I ate my Mini-Wheats while Madeleine enjoyed her handful of Cheerios on her tray.

The cramps weren't going away. I had to stop and hold on to the table for one of them. Wow, they were something. From the shower, my beloved called, "Are you really going to be able to teach with those cramps like that?"
Fine, you win. We'll go in. I called the sub line and said I'd probably be in by lunch time. Madeleine went to her usual daycare at her godparents' on schedule.

When we arrived at the hospital, I informed them of the induction and, just in case, that I wanted an epidural if I was in labor (which I still didn't believe). They took all of that down. We went to a triage room and I got ready. When the doc came in to check me, she had news. "You're effaced 100% and dilated to four. You're in labor!"

Oh. I guess those weren't just cramps.

Our beautiful baby boy arrived at 1:00 PM that day, no pitocin needed. Can you imagine how exciting that would have been if I'd gone in to school? It would have been me, the two health teachers, and Chuck (he had been a volunteer firefighter and had delivered half a dozen babies).

Happy birthday, Huckleberry.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 4:13 PM, Blogger momwithbrownies said...

I love that you call him Huckleberry too!

I've called Daxx that (or just plain Huck) for quite a while. Since he was about 2 years old because he opened his bedroom window and climbed out! LOL I call him that because he gets into everything just like Huck Finn.

What's your reason for calling Dale that?

Great minds think alike. :-)

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Ours is more highbrow. :) And a weird convergence.
1. I was reading Huckleberry Finn.
2. I got two Toby Keith albums: How Do You Like Me Now? and Unleashed for Christmas.
The first has Stelen's Song, which made me think of my own son. The other has Huckleberry, which sounds kind of like the other, but involves marrying one's childhood sweetheart.
3. I told Dale there was a kids' version of Huck Finn, so he wanted me to read it to him.

So I started calling him my Huckleberry. You knew it would have to involve books, right? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home