Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Monday, September 24, 2007

I'm always the weird one.

Back in the end of my employment days, I was compelled to attend a staff meeting. I taught middle school French and Spanish, and anyone who tells you "Middle school teachers are no different from anyone else" hasn't talked to more than one. So, there I was, putting in face time at the end of the school year, nothing left to do. My sub had already given and graded the exams as well as marked the report cards. But, since there was next year to think about (about which neither of us cared), we had to go.
"I'm not even supposed to be here today!" kept going through my mind. Who would recognize that quote? Who?

I surveyed the crowd. Too old, too mainstream, too conservative... I finally found the band teacher. It was familiar but he couldn't place it. Sigh...

Then last week we were all at the homeschool park day. One precious child was trying to bring down a leafless sapling. The tree was two or three inches in diameter and was swinging violently back and forth. When his behavior was pointed out to his mother, she went over to stop him.
I watched her go and giggled. "I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay, I sleep all night and I work all day..." I sang.
Nobody recognized it.

Even among those termed non-mainstream or off the beaten track, I'm the weird one. Ah well. I'm used to it.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 9:01 AM, Blogger Diane said...

I'm not even supposed to be here today!
Hahaha, I use that one all the time. Also: "Salsa shark!!"

I'm not sure how anyone can hold a conversation without quoting either Monty Python or The Simpsons.

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Zach said...

You know, there was a time when I thought that you were the "normal" counterweight to Dale's über-weirdness.

Thanks for clearing that up. :)


peace,

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Catherine said...

I can totally identify with this. My husband doesn't even get all of my movie references. And since they're all so old (since I haven't set foot in a theatre since The Passion), I get so many blank looks... oh well. You'd think I'd get used to it.

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Kasia said...

For what it's worth, I recognized both right off the bat...and I could probably still sing all of The Lumberjack Song from memory...and Every Sperm is Sacred...and...excuse me, my nerd-slip is showing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home