Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Excitement, continued.

We last left the city employees with a gas line break.

It was a good time for a break. We went home, had PB & J for lunch, watched the gas company vans come and go (one of which brought a SECOND BACKHOE--oh, frabjous day!), and left for my homeschool Catholic moms Bible study. (Oh, and I did call the city to tell them I appreciated Mr. Blue Shirt's presence of mind to tell me to get the kids out of there. I figure they get enough complaints; why not tell them when someone does something right?) When we returned, the trucks and heavy machinery were gone. The hole was filled in and surrounded by barricades and yellow CAUTION tape. Dale was a bit disappointed but when I assured him the backhoe would be back the next day, he was okay with that.

Sure enough, it was. It was a new crew; I later learned Thursday's had been switched to midnights as of Monday and had the weekend off to adjust. The new guys weren't working for more than 45 minutes when they created an even louder hissing than the day before, again hitting the gas line.
I closed the windows. Madeleine has mild asthma, Dale had a runny nose that morning, I was getting a headache. I knew despite any outward signs the gas wasn't doing Rachel or Louis any good.
I gave up. We just went to a playplace and got snacks for the morning. There went my nice, calm, stay-at-home day where I could catch up on chores. Ah well; we arrived at the playplace early enough that they were still serving breakfast. French toast sticks, my favorite...

That afternoon, I talked with one of the workmen. He called it the worst job he's been on in two years--the tree roots, the mismarking, hitting the gas line twice. None of them were happy. I could understand his frustration.

My beloved husband took his family out to dinner that evening. They were working when we left and continued we got back. After dark, I heard a chain saw and smelled tar. Saturday morning dawned with one less tree and an asphalt patch instead of real sidewalk, but I think they've got the lines repaired.

I wonder when the cement mixer is going to show up to repair the sidewalk, though. I think that one is Rachel's favorite.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope it all works out...

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger Kasia said...

Callooh! Callay! :-p

(I love the word "frabjous"...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home