Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Monday, May 21, 2007

Reprioritizing

I've had reason to think and deliberate on what's important recently. Sometimes we say things are important and then... do nothing about them. Other things we say are irrelevant but spend vast amounts of time on. Some examples:
Good dental health is important, but if you only brush your teeth once a day and never floss, you're not putting your money where your mouth is. Literally.
Our children's intellectual health is important, but if we never or rarely read to them, what are we really telling them?
Homeschooling my kids well is important, but I can't be bothered to plan lessons, evaluate curricula, check their work, or find out what they've been doing to see it's done well.
We women can say we want to be attractive to our spouse, but if we throw on what's clean and never bother with makeup or a razor, do we mean it?
TV isn't important, but we spend hours watching it.
Surfing the 'Net is less important than interacting or playing with my kids, so why do I spend two hours on the former and not have time for the latter?
One where I'm conspicuously guilty: It's more important (to me, anyway) that my kids recognize Mozart, Vivaldi, Beethoven, and Tchaikovsky than Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, Billy Joel, and Toby Keith, but which do I put in the CD player more often?

Mind you, I'm not saying that Internet surfing, watching TV, or pop music are bad in and of themselves. Or that we ladies need to be perfectly coiffed and made up every time he arrives home from work (but would it kill me to put on some lipstick? Probably not). I'm just saying we make time for what's important, regardless of what we actually say.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 10:48 AM, Blogger momwithbrownies said...

I understand completely. I've personally been in a slump with this leg issue but recently put on some make-up and nice clothes before my hubby came home from work. I was sitting outside when he came home. He did notice. :-) Quite enthusiastically he noticed.

We went one full year without television. It was an awesome year. Talk about one clean, organized home. I was leave it to beaver mom with ease.

You've made me put on my thinking cap for more ideas. Such as, friends coming over for dinner or to shoot the breeze more often. That's important to me.

How's this week for you guys? :-)

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Zach said...

Good thoughts.

My list of "I think this is important -- but then do I ever do it?" is way too long.


peace,

 

Post a Comment

<< Home