Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

The kids made up for yesterday.

With the water situation, about all we could do involving water is flush the toilet. Even that, according to the city water department, should be minimized so the sediment could settle and thus clear up the water. Three small children... Good luck with that.
I did other chores instead. I set the kids on picking up toys in the living room so I could vacuum while I swept and wet-jetted the kitchen floor. I was shaking out the rug on our back deck when I heard a sound from the living room.
Madeleine had started the vacuum. This might not seem like a big deal, but until this point, she was the child who was so upset by the noise she would run to another room whenever I turned it on. It started when she was maybe a month old; I was nursing her in her room and Daddy started it up right outside the door. Oh, how those startled little arms flailed!
I blinked at the scene and walked over. "I was just trying to help," she pleaded over the noise.
I said, "Honey, the front of the vacuum needs to be down for it to be able to do its job. You have to hold the handle above your belly button so the front stays down. That's all." I demonstrated, chucked her under the chin, and went back to the kitchen.
The Boy was overwhelmed trying to push the whole thing around, but really did a bang-up job with the hose attachments instead. [You knew he had to have a turn.]
Rachel, of course, was satisfied to supervise all of these endeavors and give a quality inspection afterward.

Later, I was feeling a bit dehydrated so we walked up to the "pizza store" for drinks. When Rachel started out into the parking lot alone, her brother caught her and pulled her back about as gently as you could ask a four-year-old boy to do. Given she's had a tendency to nursemaid's elbow, and everyone else in the house has done it to her, the fact that her brother didn't is testimony to how gently he pulled. She wasn't making it easy for him, either.

One of our concerns with the next one on the way is how I'll cope with all of the work. I think we have our answer.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 10:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mean she might be like that for several more years!?! Isabella has a similar fear of the vacuum (and other machinery that makes loud noises) she screams not only when it's on, but for a while even when it wasn't. Which combined with the screaming when I leave the room makes vacuuming very difficult. Which explains the current state of my kitchen floor.

Congratulations to her for overcoming her dislike of the noise and for helping out with the chores. I look forward to the day when I have some similar mommy's helpers.

My sister in law was similarly concerned when she was expecting her 4th child. She'd just started homeschooling kindergarten for her eldest daughter. But as with you, suddenly the older girls began to help around the house. And the baby is the sweetest, sleepiest thing. She's slept through the night almost since the beginning. She has to be woken up to eat and falls asleep easily anywhere.

God never sends more than we can deal with. Just enough to stretch us a little bit, teach us a bit more self-denial, patience, trust, etc. to get us a little closer to heaven.

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Zach said...

Maddie's just informing you that Byzantium is scarier than the vacuum.

peace,

 

Post a Comment

<< Home