Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Anti-homeschool snark alert

I'm feeling sarcastic and irritable, and I figure it's probably better to take it out on some nameless victims for your amusement rather than my husband and kids (mostly).
Shelly had a post a while back about meeting some anti-homeschooling kids who made the usual ridiculous remarks about kids having friends.
Now, these are not the most Christian replies and I've had a couple days to stew them. And yeah, if I'd actually said these, I probably should confess.

"Don't you care whether your kids have friends?"
Gee, I'm so selfish I haven't thought about it. That and I'm too busy. I'm running all of them to church, the younger three to the weekly park day, the middle one to basketball, the second oldest to horseback riding lessons, the 14-year-old to fencing or to CLASSES AT THIS VERY INSTITUTION or keeping an eye on all of the kids hanging out on the trampoline in my back yard to worry about whether or not my sons have friends.

"High school was the best years of my life."
Wow. That's really sad. You're what, 20? Wow. You've probably got another 45 years or more of life left. And it's all down hill. I kind of thought of high school as some of the most confusing, misunderstood, misrepresented years of my life. Since high school, and in no particular order, I've gotten a college degree, spent a semester in Europe, traveled to Quebec City twice and New Orleans once (before Katrina), met and married the man of my dreams, gotten a job I'd been dreaming of for 13 years, had three wonderful kids, bought a home, been to a World Series game, and rediscovered my Catholic faith. High school is nothing compared to any of those. But if you really think the best years are over, maybe you should just cut short your suffering and spare the rest of us your insipid whining until you die.

Or, slightly more charitable (but no less sarcastic):
"High school was the best years of my life."
Wow, your high school years must have been fantastic. Since high school, and in no particular order, I've gotten a college degree, spent a semester in Europe, traveled to Quebec City twice and New Orleans once (before Katrina), met and married the man of my dreams, gotten a job I'd been dreaming of for 13 years, had three wonderful kids, bought a home, been to a World Series game, and rediscovered my Catholic faith. Your high school years must have involved intergalactic travel and the Nobel Prize to beat those. Have you thought about taking some time away from this trivial pursuit to write a book?

Now the sun is shining and I feel better. Coincidence?

2 Comments:

At 2:07 PM, Blogger momwithbrownies said...

Love it! :-)

 
At 8:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I share your opinion about high school, and was more than happy to leave it behind to get on with the rest of life! However, I do know (and am forced to interact with) quite a few sad souls who still think they're there -- and they're all over 40! Perhaps unsurprisingly, they're members of the local theatre group I work with, and they can be quite difficult. It will be a blessing when they all "graduate" i.e., grow the &^%$#$ up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home