Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Thursday, April 19, 2007

"That's the hot, Mom."



Once upon a time (fall 1992), I was living in Paris for my major. Toward the end of my stay, I was to meet a friend under the Arc de Triomphe to do some Christmas shopping. There was a tunnel under the traffic circle, I'd been told. I thought I'd walked all the way around the monument and not found it. It was getting dark; she'd already been waiting a while.
So I ran across something like 5 lanes of Parisian traffic. And survived. She thought I was nuts.

When I told my high school French teacher about it, she looked at me with awe. "God must have great things in mind for you," she said solemnly. "He'd have squashed anyone else like a bug."

That story came to mind at the most recent Moms' Night Out, where one told of her three-year-old pulling the electrical outlet from the wall. Not the child-safe plugs, but the whole outlet. When his mother got into the room fearing for his life, he said, "That's the hot, Mom."
I told Dale about it the next morning, and my thoughts. "God must have great things in mind for Daxx."
My husband chuckled. "That or a really interesting epitaph."

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 9:20 PM, Blogger momwithbrownies said...

As best I can figure, he used the edge of his train track to peel back the outlet cover. The pieced of the outlet were scattered about but he was holding the child protectors "for me".

Apparently he didn’t want to be outdone by his brother who put the tweezers into the outlet, in the kitchen, just a few months before! That is actually where the phrase, “That’s the hot, mom” came into play. Little Kole coined it, ever so quietly, as he held the hot tweezers in his hand, standing still staring at the blackened outlet.

Have I mentioned that I’ve found gray hair recently?

 
At 6:56 AM, Blogger momwithbrownies said...

ps: You must have been crazy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home