Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

My morning

has been completely different from how I planned. A small load of gentles to wash during my shower; hang them on the line while jeans wash; dishes after that; the kids play outside during this whole time. Then I'd read some Anne of Green Gables and Divine Intimacy. Leisurely easy morning. I should have known...

I threw the "gentles" in the washer--a dress of mine, some tops, Rachel's pink Easter gown, Madeleine's dance clothes--and noticed the color of the water flowing in. It won't be that bad, I thought. Then as I was about to shower, I noticed the toilet. Do you remember the color "raw umber" from the big Crayola box? That's what we're talking about here. Um... I'm not showering in that.

I dressed anyway and we all headed outside; I started pairing the kids' socks. After putting them away, I paused at the washer to collect the first load.

My formerly white top was this color, as was the cream-colored one. Maddie's pink dance clothes had splotches all over them and the pink gown was unevenly peachy in random spots. My dress, though, is originally orangey tie-dye and my jumper is tan; they'll be fine. Needless to say, there went Anne and Intimacy, as well as the dishes and jeans. How could I save my daughters' clothes? I was staving off a nervous breakdown.

Once upon a time, someone (my mother?) convinced me to get some stuff called Barkeeper's Friend. I remembered it accomplished whatever purpose it had had then; would it rise to the occasion now? Where would I get the water to soak the stuff?

I used the last of our 2.5 spring water jugs and the magical Barkeeper's Friend. It worked. Instead of spending the morning reading, though, I spent it making a paste and rubbing--gently, mind you--it in to a half-dozen items of clothing by hand. I'm exhausted. But the beloved Easter gown is rescued.

I won't be washing dishes, though.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 5:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forget the clothes. I'm just always tickled to death to hear of someone else reading Divine Intimacy.

 
At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Barkeepers Friend info. I ran into the same problem this morning with my favorite sweater!!!!!

 
At 5:25 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Anon 5:24--Do you worry about keeping up with the correct day? Sometimes I do, but with the change in the liturgical calendar (and me still learning what some things were called) it doesn't always happen.

Anon 2:27--Barkeepers Friend is CHEAP, too. And it was gentle enough for me to use with my bare hands for over an hour.
It still warns about spot-testing for colorfastness, but I think that's just a precaution.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home