Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Friday, May 18, 2007

The Conversation begins.

At lunch. Toby Keith's Hold You, Kiss You, Love You is playing in the background.

"Mama, what is this song about?"
"Um... er..." Help! "It's a husband singing to his wife how much he loves her, and how he wants to show her with his body."
"Oh." Confused.
"Well, honey, there are lots of ways to tell someone. I can tell you with words, right? Or I can give you a big hug?"
"Yeah. I like big hugs."
"I show Rachel too by taking care of her after she uses the potty, when I wipe her. I used to do it when she was in diapers, keeping her bottom clean. That's one of the ways to show we love someone."
"Okay."
"Now, it wouldn't be appropriate for me to follow Daddy into the potty, would it? To wipe him?"
Laughing. "No."
"He's singing about the way that's appropriate for a husband and wife to tell each other they love the other. And sometimes, they love each other so much, it overflows and God sends a baby to catch the overflow of love."
Pause. Satisfied. "Okay. This one is my favorite song."

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 10:56 AM, Blogger Layla said...

What a beautiful explanation, and what a sweet moment. Thanks for sharing this.

 
At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an awesome explanation! I wish I could come up with something as beautiful and meaningful when I "have the talk" with my 11 y.o. son and 9 y.o. daughter.

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Thank you both for your kind words. That's why I shared it--this mothering gig is tough; we need to help each other all we can!

And Joanne, this was with my five-year-old. I'll bet your son and daughter can handle this. :)

There are so many things that ONE talk isn't enough; politics, religion, the Great Pumpkin... that's why I used the present tense.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home