Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

I love my husband.

A few weeks ago, I asked for help in finding a book. None of my two or three dozen readers were able to help me, or so it seems since nobody commented. I resigned myself to never knowing, just lost in the mists of time.

Then last month, our church had its annual "garage sale." Because I was at our archdiocese's women's conference, I didn't make it. Dale went to the Mass for Life and then the sale. Among his treasures, he got some books for the kids--A Child's Garden of Verse, by Robert Louis Stevenson. He picked it up for the author's name.
I looked at it, noticing the wonderful illustrations. They weren't all in color, which gave me pause. I knew this style.

I think I've found it.

You know, I hear all kinds of stories about the Internet. I know anything is available for a price, and the Internet just makes it more accessible. What have *I* found?
1. The teaspoon completing my grandmother's wedding silver, lost around 1932
2. An exact replacement of the same grandmother's sugar bowl after it got broken (ebay)
3. Support for homeschooling, from bargain textbooks to entire curricula to social groups
4. An online classics reading group, which more easily fits into my schedule than a live one

Now this. Maybe Al Gore isn't as dumb as his Global Warming discreditors would have us believe.
(I'm joking on that last line.)

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 3:21 AM, Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

You know, I hadn't commented...but I've been looking around, because I think we own this book. I just can't figure out where it IS!

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Thanks, Barb. I realize now on reading it that first paragraph of the post sounds snippy. I didn't mean it to, and I'm sorry.

But you think you have that book? One of the color pictures, I think from The Moon Maiden, had Mt. Fuji in it.
And the one from Why The Bear is Stumpy-Tailed is in black and white. Is that it?

God bless and thanks for remembering!

 
At 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Child's Garden of Verse is a good book. Our kids have enjoyed learning some of the poems in there.

One of the versions at the public library has artwork by Kinkade, and includes poems that aren't in the version we bought (which makes me wish I had found the Kinkade-illustrated version). The kids learned a 4-stanza poem in 3 days (it was about squirrels, a fascinating subject for a 4 and 2.5 year old)

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Milehimama @ Mama Says said...

I must have missed that post - are you talking about these?
http://www.hiddenstaircase.com/new/greatillustratedclassics2.html

These are ones I read. You could buy them for a couple of dollars and the paper was cheap - but I think I read them all too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home