Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Monday, November 06, 2006

True, good, and beautiful

When I began this mothering business, I didn't quite have all of my priorities in the same order I do now. I still labored under that delusion that since a newborn sleeps some 18 hours a day or so, I thought I'd be able to do lots of other things.
Since that particular myth has been dispelled, I settled on some minimums: something good to go in, something good to go on; the rest could take care of itself. Translated: dishes, meals, and laundry were my priority chores. Vacuuming, sweeping, dusting, et cetera would get done when I got around to them.
What do I mean when I say "something good to go in?" Like their diets. My kids eat lots of fruits and vegetables. Bananas, apples, pears, grapes, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, oranges, corn, squash, sweet potatoes, celery, peas, green peppers, green beans. Dale loves tomatoes and will eat them plain. Madeleine's favorite thing to eat is lima beans. I don't serve veggies with a lot of sauce, though I do put them in soup. And they eat them. They eat whole wheat bread, skim milk, regular doses of low-fat meat (and fish). Fast food is a special event. There's "true, good, and beautiful."
What about "something good to go on?" Their wardrobe. I want their clothes to be clean, well-fitting, and correct for the weather; there's the "good" and "true." The "beautiful" comes in with the style--attractive, modest, and age appropriate.
Somewhere along the way, that "something good to go in" came to include their minds as well. And somewhere else along the way, I realized that the Catholic perspective of "true, good and beautiful" dovetails quite nicely. The books they're read and will read, the music they hear, the television shows they watch. True, good, and beautiful puts a different spin on it.
When I realized that the bare minimum standards I'd figured out were so simpatico with the Church's idea of true, good, and beautiful, and it applied to their minds as well, I couldn't help but notice how well that goes with our decision to homeschool.

So on we go. Today it was in the low 60's and sunny--a hit-or-miss event in November. After math, we went for a bike ride (I followed on foot), then we played in the leaves in the back yard until lunch. We went outside again after nap and reading until supper.
Would we have been able to do that with a school schedule? Did my daughter learn enough today? More importantly, did she miss anything?
I don't think so.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 9:13 PM, Blogger momwithbrownies said...

I saw you guys rolling in the leaves. You really were! :-)

I'll tell you how our day went. We "took a half day." It never fails to amaze me how much work the kids get done when we "take a half day."

I had two toddlers with the sniffles who were laughing in their new indoor tent and tunnel trying to fit them together to build a city.

Vinze wanted to finish his books no matter what today. He worked until his little heart was content and the last math problem in his book was finished.

Brisan wanted to watch the History Channel all day, except when he came over to ask me who is running Mr. Ford's plant now because "it's still around and Ford isn't."

Last but not least, Kazz asked if he could turn his "Cities in the late 1800/early 1900" Essay into a "Detroit in the late 1800/early 1900" essay because he found it "interesting." He then went on to tell me about the Fire that took out the city. I've never seen him so intested in our hometown. :-)

Ahh...Homeschooling...And They thought they had a half day! LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home