Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

What do 24, Dora the Explorer, and General Hospital share?

After reading this article about Dr. Phil, I was just sad. I admit I used to watch him as well as Oprah. I don't recall what stopped me; it might have been Rachel's arrival, or the commercials for Maury during Phil, or I may have just figured I had better things to do with my time. Or a combination of all three?
A friend once told me she didn't watch any talk shows. I tried to defend Oprah and Dr. Phil as intelligent, but her reasoning was simple: it's all people airing their dirty laundry for attention, regardless of who's doing the interviewing.
Yep. Psst, Diane--you were right.

I guess I'd rather watch something I know is fake and isn't pretending otherwise, than something purported to be real and offer honest debate and only to find out it's all a put-on.

There's no such thing as reality TV.

2 Comments:

At 7:47 AM, Blogger momwithbrownies said...

I somehow think that The Homeschool Legal Defense Association got involved when this information leaked. The show that ended up being aired was this...

http://drphil.com/articles/article/491/

Probably thanks to this...

http://www.hslda.org/docs/news/hslda/200510/200510180.asp

Thank God we have fighters on our side. :-)

However, the damage is done. I won't hold his opinion with much regard from here on out.

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Diane said...

What he did is the equivalent of quote-mining, a favorite activity of anyone with an agenda. I hope word gets out broadly about this and related incidents so people will just say no when talk show producers come sniffing around!

As far as I can tell, Dr. Phil's only value is in providing material for Michael McDonald on MadTV.

[I will admit a sick fascination with those episodes of Maury where he brings in a dozen glamorously dressed men and women and you have to guess their genders] :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home