Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Friday, August 08, 2008

How does our garden grow?

I've had a "temporary" attitude about this house we've been living in for seven years. I haven't measured the kids against the wall, recording their heights at each birthday. I've been reluctant to plant anything in the fall with the idea that we won't be around in the spring to see it bloom.

Well, with the housing market in shambles, one good thing to come out of it is a sea change in my mentality. Looks like we're going to be here a while; may as well make it how we want it.

I'm thinking garden in the back yard. We don't have much space but the kids are mostly outgrowing the toys out there; the need for something neat to investigate is starting to be felt. A neighbor growing up had wild grapes along the fence line; that was Dagobah for our Star Wars figures. The nearby raspberries were pretty good, too.

Now, the stipulations. We don't need to grow for food, but I have no problem with it. I don't want anything that requires daily maintenance--every other day would be better. My experience is bulbs--dig holes, put them in pointy-end up, cover, and wait. I can handle something a little more complex than that, but not much. We have plenty of sun out there as well.

I don't want anything that's going to take an enormous amount of space, like pumpkin vines. Climbing roses without a trellis become almost as vicious as the plant in Little Shop of Horrors, so I'd just as soon skip that. I'm not looking for a corn field, either; more something the kids can watch and weed. Rewards to the stomach a bonus.

So, Gentle Readers, what should we put in our back yard?

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 10:04 AM, Blogger HISchild said...

Green and wax beans. We have a 20 foot row of each that we have probably picked at least 15 lbs from and we are still not done with the season.

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Zach said...

Chives. Simple, useful, perennial, and hard to kill. Oregano is another one like that - this year (its third), ours went from "wonder if it's going to live?" to "wonder if it's going to take over the whole garden bed?" status.

Radishes are simple, easy, and quick. For real fun, try daikons (the mutant Japanese ones that grow up like a big white carrot on steriods). Bonus points if you can tell me what to do with that much daikon. :)

A tomato plant or two is always good - nothing beats fresh tomatoes.

Hope that helps!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home