Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Friday, May 16, 2008

"Snakes... why'd it have to be snakes?"

The kids have seen Star Wars Episodes IV, V, and VI. Now with Dale receiving the LEGO magazine and TV commercials, they want to watch Indiana Jones. I'm not ready for them to see all the gruesome dead bodies, tarantulas all over someone's back, and melting heads. We're waiting 'til he's eight, when he'll probably be one of very few who know what the Ark of the Covenant really contained. You can roll your eyes if you like, but let me remind you we have a three-year-old girl here and I don't want to deal with those nightmares.

Anyway, I'm looking for swashbuckling type movies. I thought of National Treasure, but I haven't seen it. The Three Musketeers, though vastly different from the Dumas story, was along the same vein. My dad and I saw King Solomon's Mines back in the theater; does anyone have any help with that one?
[I do recall really bad reviews for that last one. Now you know where I get my movie tastes--my dad. He'd go every week when he was young, during WWII. Even if it was the same movie as last time. The newsreels were what inspired him to become a paratrooper.]

Since you were so helpful with Spaceballs (no, they haven't seen it), I thought I'd put it out there. Adventure movies for the young set?

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 7:40 AM, Blogger Diane said...

I'll admit I haven't actually seen these, but I know of them and I think they'd be appropriate: Robin Hood (the Errol Flynn one) and Treasure Island (Charlton Heston. Treasure Island is Disney so I'd imagine it's pretty tame.

The scene when they open the Ark in Raiders even freaks *me* out and you know that must take some doing!

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Cheesy, but the little kids can watch them...Crayola Kids has a couple of videos "The Trojan War" and "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" that my older son just loved. They're even musicals!

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger momwithbrownies said...

The Rescuers (animated), Robin Williams version of Peter Pan,
Jumanji, Night at the Museum, Zathura and Huckleberry Finn

Have fun! :-)

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Banshee said...

The Forbidden Kingdom (out right now with Jackie Chan and Jet Li) isn't gory, although it does have some mushy stuff. (G-rated, IIRC.)

Castle in the Sky (anime) has lots of racing and chasing after Ancient Secrets in it.

Ooh, I know! The Scarlet and the Black! Old TV movie with Gregory Peck, playing an Irish priest who ran a good chunk of the Vatican's underground railroad for POWs and Jews during WWII. Based off the book The Scarlet Pimpernel of the Vatican. He ended up helping lots of English guys, even though he didn't really like the English, and he converts a Nazi after the war by dint of visiting him in prison all the time. Might be in the library or at the video store.

You know, it'd be a lot easier if you moved next door and I could just lend you these things. :)

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Banshee said...

The only thing is that it doesn't really do justice to the pope's work to save people, although it does give some credit to his problems. You can talk to the kids about that.

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Maureen-- We'll be at the Lansing conference next month; does that count? :)

 
At 7:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goonies and Treasure Island were hits with my children. (Usually only one dollar rental or even free at the library)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home