Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Seven things you probably don't know about me

Shelly tagged me forever ago. I think I've done this one before, but if I can't remember, I certainly can't expect YOU to do so, eh, Gentle Reader?

1. I'm really quite shy. Seriously. Especially on the phone. Arranging playdates for the kids is painful. I don't like to order pizza. I've gotten used to making doctor's appointments for the kids, but it hasn't been without its moments.
Even about the miscarriage last year, I picked up the phone to call... nobody. My readers knew more than my siblings. If my brother hadn't called to ask me to donate blood for his daughter's school, he wouldn't have known. And if my sister hadn't called while I was on one of the early trips to the hospital, she probably wouldn't have known.

2. Someday I'd really like to build my own dollhouse. With shingles and electric lights and the whole nine yards. Of course, by the time I have the space to devote to such a project, my grandchildren will be playing with it. But hey, it's a dream.

3. I was in a Rocky Horror Picture Show floor show group while in high school. I was Magenta and even had the false eyelashes.

4. I am almost completely unburdened by family traditions. Growing up,we had about two: Cedar Point was our summer vacation and driving around looking at the lights on Christmas Eve. So we don't have that "whose traditional meal is served this year?" problem. No family recipes being passed down, no certain activities that must be done as a rite of passage.
Unless you count being Catholic. Then I have lots.

5. I wore a tux to my senior prom. And I had the legs for it. (Still do.) That's my mom, my date, and me in 1989.

6. I attended Depeche Mode, Nine Inch Nails, and Hank Williams Jr. concerts all in the same summer. With different people, of course. And the most fun was at the Hank Williams Jr., where I told my company this joke: "What does Yee-Haw mean? I have a beer in both hands and can't clap!" To which he responded, "You're right!"

7. I can't watch war movies. My dad took me to see Full Metal Jacket in high school and I almost threw up in the theater. (When? At the moment the sniper spun around.) But I did see Saving Private Ryan; I just couldn't speak for about fifteen minutes afterward. Glory makes me cry every single time and it's worse now that I have sons.
So I don't watch war movies anymore.
So finally, I got these up. It was tough to come up with seven things; after all, I kind of spill my guts here pretty regularly. What are seven things you aren't going to know yet?
And since it took me so bleedin' long to get this done, the rest of you are off the hook. Unless you want to; that's what comment boxes are for.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 4:04 PM, Blogger momwithbrownies said...

Was your date aware that you were wearing that? I've never seen that specific type of tux. :-)

My date's tux was white. *shaking my head* ugh!

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Yes, he knew in advance. I even rented the top half--cummerbund, tie, shirt, and coat. I had to buy the gloves, hat, and cane, though.

It was cheaper than his because I had my own shoes. :)

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger momwithbrownies said...

I'm thinking it's time for a
"Mom Story." :-)

Check out my newest linky will ya? :-) Just click "Are You A Brownie Mom?" or read "Sassy's Story"...you'll get there.

Thank you for playing with me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home