Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Hey, I haven't talked about school in a while.

So I will now!
Our quarterly report is sort-of due this week. Well, as "due" as anything optional is, but since she's in first grade, I would like to have a record to show any questioners.
I was getting kind of worked up about it so I talked it over with another friend. I've given her the "Snap out of it!" speech; now it was her turn.
"You're just getting all wound up because it's the first time. I'll admit, I'll be ten times worse when my turn comes around, but come on. Nobody turns in a perfectly pristine report on time unless they're homeschooling an only child. In a few years, when you have Madeleine, Dale, and Rachel with the little one chewing on the crayons, you'll just grab something, say, 'This will do,' scrape the dried spaghetti off the corner, and send it in. I'll just figure the grease stains won't show up in the copies. We'll both be sending them stuff with ants in it."

After I stopped laughing, I realized she was right.

So... Madeleine is halfway, or almost, through first grade phonics, grammar, science, and spelling. We already started second grade history (it's Bible history) and we'll start second-grade reading and spelling when we get the books, which hopefully will be any day now. We ordered them before my birthday. Math we're on time, but that's okay. I think she needed a break from it. Yeah, we're doing school through the summer. I don't care to spend a few weeks or a month reviewing what she forgot over the summer.
Dale is up to Lesson 13 in Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. We hit a hurdle--no, make that a brick wall--with Lesson 12. After too long at the table, way too much yelling and tears, we put it aside for the weekend. When we picked it up again yesterday it was much better. He's recognizing see, eat, meat, rat, and seed. Most of the time, anyway. I'm still waiting for him to recognize one away from the book, but I did point out SAM on the Old Yeller/Savage Sam DVD box. I think it's starting to click. I'll keep you posted.
Rachel knows her letters and colors, but is still more interested in playing instead of school. Though when I pull out the reading book for Dale, she wants to know what's going on.

Of course, little Louie will start his listening comprehension soon. I think Daddy wants to start him with The Hobbit.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 7:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm doing the "Teach Your Child to Read..." book with my 4.5 year old son, too. He is on Lesson 23. He is getting some of it, but when it comes to sounding out the words his don't sound like the "say it slow" way, but have pauses between each sound (m-a-d instead of mmmmaaaaddd). Then he is unable to say the word he just sounded out. I am hoping this works itself out in time. Also, every time I try to have him identify a word when reading his regular books he just guesses from the context or tries his favorite, "rat." The writing at the end of each lesson is tough for him. Still, he doesn't hate it (or me) yet, so we'll charge ahead.

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Sarah--
The stopping between sounds is what drove me mad last week. It was "am." He got it once, we went to "eat," and came back. It was gone.

And we don't do the writing part. I was looking for a reading program that didn't have much since I don't think his fine motor skills are up to it. I was told by another mom that this would be great. She only used it up to about Lesson 50, because by then her girls were reading on their own. I'm hoping that happens with us, too.

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger momwithbrownies said...

We tried the 100 easy lessons and found that is wasn't so easy. Sooo...we went on to Sight Words. I made them from this website.

http://www.manatee.k12.fl.us/sites/elementary/palmasola/dolchflash.htm

Just printed them, pasted the whole page to constrution paper and cut out the flash cards.

Boys seem to like flash cards a few each day add more as they know them...you get the idea.

Vinze, zoom zoom zoom with reading after that. Also "Bob Books" from the library work wonders.

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger momwithbrownies said...

you need to add

/dolchflash.htm

to the end of that web-site.

That was odd. hmmm...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home