Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Happy Birthday to me!

Yeah, today's the day.
We went to 10AM Mass, per usual on Sunday. My mom was there--always a good thing. Not a whole lot of other usuals; Rachel's godparents were about it. But a new family was there. I'd seen Mom and Daughter in the neighborhood and commented on the stroller; she'd wheeled on over and we hit it off and talked for a while. Her husband had been raised Catholic and they wanted to get their little girl baptized, but his parents' parish had hoops to jump through.
Now, God love the guy, our pastor would tool around neighborhoods with a fire truck if enough people asked him to. He's got no problem baptizing. I think his idea is, at least I'll get 'em in the door. Who knows? Maybe they'll stay.
Anyway, Saturday night the whole family came by and were asking about the parish, mass times, et cetera. Mom had no religious background but wants to attend classes if they're going to have their daughter baptized and raise her Catholic. So it was really nice to see them there.
I count that as a birthday gift.

I also got The Visible Woman, still in shrinkwrap, via eBay. I've wanted one since about the time I got the microscope (seventh grade). The optional pregnancy parts has always stuck with me and now I have it to build. Yeah, he's pretty good.
He also found The Little House on the Prairie, Season 1. I was told more than once in elementary school that I looked like Laura; since I liked both the character and the show, I took it as a compliment. Now that Madeleine is familiar with the premise, it went over big. We just watched the first episode but I think they'll want more. They weren't ready for The Greatest American Hero at Christmas despite their interest in space and planets. The idea of other planets and life on them is still beyond their ken.
The last thing I really chose, which was a set of eyelet-trimmed sheets from Martha Stewart. Since it's just trimmed on the pillow cases and top sheet, he won't feel out of place in his own bedroom. I've always liked eyelet, too.
We saw a skid-steer knocking down a garage, and stopped to visit Shelly the Neighbor on the way back for a while. We haven't had the chance to do that for weeks.

We had chocolate fudge cake and Breyer's "fried" ice cream for dessert after he grilled kielbasa. I've missed that stuff since the demise of Chichi's, and somehow he knew that too.

Now, I have the chance to blog and relax before starting on the dishes, or the folding of the laundry.... Well, even with those to do, it was still a good birthday.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 7:52 PM, Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Sounds like a VERY nice birthday! Wishing you a happy, healthy year.

My birthday was yesterday, when I turned 29...again (like for the 13th time, as my neighbor SO kindly pointed out!)

 
At 6:32 AM, Blogger Melanie Bettinelli said...

Many happy returns of the day! Sounds like a great birthday.

(Mine just so happens to be on Thursday.)

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger Zach said...

Happy Birthday, Heather!

Congratulations on turning 29 again. :)


peace,

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Catherine said...

Bon Anniversaire! (erg, my French is old. Did I spell that right?)

You're lucky to be a summer birthday. Mine is on Valentine's Day. Enough to make my future husband wait three weeks to ask me out so that he could avoid it. He's such a wimp. :) And he just loves it when I bring that up...

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Peanut Butter Kisses said...

Happy Birthday! Hope you have a fabulous year ahead :-)

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Deacon Bill Burns said...

¡Feliz Compleaños!

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger RobKPhD said...

Hope it was a good one

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Sarah Reinhard said...

Well, better late than never...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home