Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Remember my concerns about Madeleine's reading?

Well, they're dust.
She's pulling Magic Tree House books off the shelf with abandon. We got a set, 28 of them, back from a bookorder in preschool. I'm not having her read them for the science or history factors but if she gets something out of them in those areas, it's gravy. And yes, I've asked her what she's read. Afternoon in the Amazon included adventures with pirhana.
And hey, I'll admit I learned what a "bodkin" was from a romance novel. When we read Hamlet later in high school, I knew he was talking about stabbing himself to death and not something involving Ophelia and a state of undress.

The question is, when do we bump her up to second-grade reading? Most of those Magic Tree House books are labeled second-grade. I've looked at the back and those that say have RL 2.6, RL 2.3, RL 2.7. Some even have RL 3.

What we're doing over the summer is the reviews in the Catholic National Reader, book 1. Those sections don't have questions but incorporate most of the new words from the previous six selections. If we have trouble, we'll be able to go back. Plus we'll get more out of the book, which we'll have around for the others as well.
And we're going to get the second grade course plans for reading and spelling when we send in our quarterly report at the end of the month.

After all, did anyone worry about skipping reading books back in my day? I know I was in the fourth grade reading group when I was in third; did any expert think I'd missed something?

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 8:03 AM, Blogger Catherine said...

We used to have colors for our reading groups. They corresponded to the stickers on the spines in the school library. That way, you knew which books they'd let you check out. I've heard that "self-esteem" education put an end to grouping children by ability. No wonder kids are bored. I don't think I missed anything, but I definitely got my hands on more mature reading material than I could actually handle emotionally. I read so fast, that I read the book Holocaust in stages after I'd picked out my books for the week and before the rest of the class was ready to leave. A bit more than a third grader maybe should be reading. .

A romance novel actually made clear for me the process that makes diamonds. You just never know what you'll learn from a book.

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Grr... That "we can't distinguish by ability because it might hurt someone's feelings" B.S. is one of the reasons we're homeschooling.

I'm learning new respect for Dash Incredible, you know?

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Milehimama @ Mama Says said...

I don't know who labels those books. My first grade age boys both love Magic Treehouse. My 7 yo son could read them independently -and quickly halfway through first grade; my sp. ed. son is just getting into them.

I wouldn't worry so much about skipping reading books, if you do reading comprehension exercises. Let her read what she loves. Tell her if she gets to a word she doesn't understand or something, come and ask.

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

My 4th grader is currently reading at 7.4 reading level. If there is something she doesn't quite understand, she asks. She always comes to share what she read each evening and we discuss it. She's currently tackling Huck Finn, something she wouldn't be allowed to do at school, but since I'm homeschooling now.....

Thanks for your tips and encouragement in that regard!

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Joanne--You are certainly welcome! While not always easy, homeschooling is one of the best choices we've made as parents. And to all those who comment, thank YOU for your support. I don't know if we could do it alone.

For actual school, we're going to stick with the basal readers--Catholic National, comparable to the McGuffey's. Just so I don't have to re-invent the wheel with questions or tests.

For her own free reading, we have LOTS for her to choose from. Magic Tree House, 40-some Great Illustrated Classics, all of the Little House books, odd and sundry others (Cricket in Times Square, James and the Giant Peach, etc.). Plus she has her own library card.
I'm just so thrilled that it seems we can raise readers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home