Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Book reviews

Just to keep all of you folks posted on what I'm reading and offer my opinion on what I've finished. I know some of these didn't make it to the current category; they were such quick reads I didn't bother to change the template.

Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables: The fact that she grows up so makes it interesting. The first half was rather tedious with her monologuing; there were times I just wanted to grab her by the shoulders and say "QUIET!" But I stuck with it and she actually got interesting. I was wondering how there were seven books in the series; now I know. There's actually a chance I may pick up another.

Eden's Thrill of the Chaste: It's a good book to give to a girl late in high school, when she's old enough to have seen her friends make some of Dawn's mistakes. You know the mistakes she made not because she goes into graphic detail, but she makes enough allusions to be clear. It's the spiritual consequences she deals with, not the sexual activity. It was a refreshing change from the lurid tell-alls one can find so easily.

Dr. Anonymous' Unprotected: This one is more graphic than Eden's, but in the medical not the puerile sense. This would be a good one to read after Eden's where if the spiritual consequences don't scare your pants back on, the physical ones can.
If you didn't trust the politically-correct agenda already, this is going to completely destroy it.

Vicki Iovine's Guide to Getting Your Groove Back: Typical Iovine, and that's a compliment. Common sense advice abounds to having four children and a husband. She admits the importance of church attendance, but is not judgemental enough to imply hers is correct. She advises that fairness among four cannot be tabulated daily but must be an annual calculation. Her discussions of maturing motherhood's impact on friendships and wardrobe were honest; I got a lot out of them.

I'm still whittling away at Crocker's Triumph. I'm past the Reformation, so it's all downhill from here. I'd really like to read up on the whole Galileo controversy; if anyone can recommend a single volume that's worth reading, I'd appreciate it.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 9:55 AM, Blogger Catherine said...

I also enjoyed The Thrill. It was one of those books that I felt like I needed to read MUCH earlier in my life though. And I laughed out loud at several points during Triumph.

Strange question: Is Anne of Green Gables a "girly" book? My context for this is that I read the Nancy Drew books mainly to hear what George was going to do next. I've never been captivated by Austen, but forced myself to go through Sense and Sensibility. Is Anne more like the Austen books?

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Anne is more of a "girly" book, though it's not Austen. I'd put it between the Little House books and Austen.
She goes from 12 to 16 or 17 in the book, I think. She is something of a tomboy, but the first half she talks so much I found it rough going. Somewhere around halfway she slows down, the action picks up, and it was a much quicker read.

 
At 5:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting list....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home