Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Summer recipe ideas

I'm going to assume that in hot weather nobody likes to turn on the oven, and cool foods with lots of veggies are a big hit. That's how it is at our house, anyway. When the weather turns warm, the menu shifts.
For example, I made gazpacho last night (I looked for the link, but didn't see it. It's in the Betty Crocker cookbook). The kids like it, finally, though I think Rachel filled up on the chopped vegetables before dinner was actually served. I've made vichysoisse once but it defeats the whole purpose of summer cuisine--you have to cook the potatoes and onions, then chill them. Who needs that?
Another summer dinner is the Suddenly Salads. I've bought the original in the package in the past, but I'm generally worried that there won't be enough noodles (always a concern with small children). That and I have a preference for whole wheat noodles; none of the kits have them (yet).
So I take them as inspiration. I buy my own noodles. I grill some chicken breasts in the morning before it gets hot (or have him do it on the weekend), then cut them into chunks and chill them. I boil the noodles, throw some salad dressing on them, and toss them in with the chicken. Serve on a bed of greens (I prefer spinach, but romaine or something like it works too) and voilĂ ! It's dinner when you're ready for it.
I've also done that with shelled shrimp and canned tuna or salmon. I'm not wild about the canned chicken, but thought I tried it once. The grilled is better.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! You're a great cook!

God bless

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger HISchild said...

Check out the recipe database on MCCH group for a fresh salsa idea.

Ellen

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Zach said...

That salad sounds good!

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger momwithbrownies said...

Ellen/Heather:
My wonderful Tamale Pie recipe on the MCCH database was given to me by Heather...before she was homeschooling. ;-)

What comes around goes around! LOL
I may have to put your name on it in the database now Heather.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home