Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

We're both fine, no surprises.

My OB/GYN loves me. I'm an easy patient both health-wise and personally.

I've gained seven pounds since my last visit; it's unusual for me to gain anything in the first trimester, but I'm starting from a lower weight anyway. Blood pressure is fine and no swelling despite the warm weather. All of the blood work from my last visit came back normal. She asks if I have any questions, but is not surprised that I don't.

The baby's heartbeat was 156. We can't say out loud "Usually boys have lower heartbeats" around the kids as I really don't want to cope with a four-year-old's disappointment for the next six months or more, but Madeleine and Dale bore that out. Rachel was weird all over, kicking hard enough at 17 weeks that Daddy could feel it. No joke.
Yeah, we probably should have taken that as a sign as to her personality, but who knew?

So my level-2 ultrasound is scheduled for the afternoon of August 6. I'll let you know whether we've evened the ratio in the house or not.
And no, I haven't done the laundry yet. It was one of those days.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 5:48 AM, Blogger Catherine said...

Both of my girls had thoroughly different heartbeats every (and I do mean EVERY) time they were checked. Never in the same 10 beat interval twice. Ranged from 120 through the 160s. I never take that old wives tale seriously anymore. I also carried them completely differently.

My second one is kind of like Rachel was for you. Serious kicking, and a polar opposite kind of baby from the first. Echo was a laid-back, relatively easy baby, and Little One is seriously demanding and energetic. Maybe someday I'll get to even out our gender ratio. I think Daddy and the younger dog are getting lonely. :)

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger Amy said...

And I believe our son's heartbeat was in the high 150s when we had the first ultrasound...so we'll see.

Keep us posted!

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The old wives tale about heartrate comes from some bad math. The idea is that the average heart rate of an adult woman is faster than the average heartrate of an adult man so faster fetal heartrate = boy. I was an OB nurse for years. There really is no corrolation. Terentia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home