Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Thursday, March 08, 2007

My Huckleberry

It started with an escape from radio commercials in the minivan, when the country music station Dale had programmed in was the only one playing a song. There's a long post that will sound suspiciously like a love letter to Toby Keith, but it will wait for another day. Surmise it to the point of Santa brought me the singer's Unleashed, which has a beautiful song on there titled "Huckleberry." It sounds a lot like his "Heart to Heart," one about the love he sees between his son and his wife.

Anyway, being I'm sentimental (emphasis on the mental) at times, I've danced with my own son during both of those songs. He recognizes them and has asked me to dance to them as well. I'm allowed to call him "my huckleberry."

On another note, I'm reading Twain's Huckleberry Finn (for the first time). He's noticed the coincidence. So last night, he wanted me to read him some of it. I told him that I'm reading the grown-up version that has no pictures, but in his bedroom we have a kids' version that does. "Should I get that one?"
Vigorous nodding.

We read four chapters last night and he brought it to me again this morning. We're up to Chapter 6.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 10:42 AM, Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

I had to break out my CD and listen to that one. It IS a sweet song.

Have you heard the remake of "Mockingbird" that he did with his teen daughter? BOY does she have a good voice! I'm normally not a fan of remakes, but this one was really well done, and it's a fun song! When Big Brother was a baby I used to dance him around the house to that song (original version), while I sang it at the top of my lungs :)

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger momwithbrownies said...

Awww.. How sweet. :-)

Oddly enough I've been calling Daxx "my little Huck" for quite some time but not for the same reason. I call him that because he gets into so much mischief! LOL

My mom loves it and I think he will too someday. I am going to have to listen to that song now though. It sounds sweet. Now to find that book! :-)

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Catherine said...

Love that song. I won't buy Toby Keith any more (Yikes for songs like "Mexico" and "As Good as I Once Was") but Unleashed is one of my favorite albums.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home