Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

My husband, the mighty hunter.

My husband really does go deer hunting in November. Only once has he been successful, but that's all right--it's a hobby. His father, uncle, and cousins typically send home enough venison with him that we save on beef for a month or so.

That's only once a year. It's tough on him. Another hobby of his, though, is haunting used book stores--both brick-and-mortar and online. It's a mixed blessing, as he usually finds something--but it's cheap. Like his near-complete collection of Giuseppe Ricciotti's works(no more than $15 each), the Douay-Rheims Confraternity Masterpiece Edition Bible ($25), or Will Durant's Story of Civilization (all 11 volumes, $40).
He also brings home treasures for me. Like the DeHarbe's Catechism I mentioned a while back ($5). Or Louis Veuillot's Jésus-Christ, copyright 1875 ($25). Or Pierre Grimal's Dictionnaire des Biographies, both volumes, copyright 1958 ($25).
Yes, those last two are in French. Why do you ask?

With the impending desecration/abridgement of the Little House books, I asked him for a favor that channeled both of these talents. How many of the soon-to-be-cut books could he find?

Heh. Once Bob the mailman does his job, we'll be missing one. Out of 15. For less than $85 including shipping.

UPDATE 2/28/07--In looking at his favorite used bookstore for our missing Little House book, he instead found a second-edition hardcover On the Banks of Plum Creek, published in 1937, priced at $6. Which coincidentally is the one I'm reading to Madeleine. It's before the Garth Williams illustrations.
And it's ours.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 8:23 AM, Blogger Catherine said...

You keeping his haunts a secret? Inquiring minds want to know the good places! I suppose that is probably highly classified information though. :)

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Since you asked...

You can try alibris.com, bookfinder.com, or abebooks.com.
For bricks-and-mortar, he really likes the John King bookstore near his work. They have a website, too.

And we actually FOUND them all, but shelling out $70 for On Top of Concord Hill was just a touch out of budget.
In a year or something, I'll bet it's much more reasonable. Like Beanie Babies.

 
At 12:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooh, I'm green. I really really want to go out and buy them all too. But we need to economize right now and I can't justify the expense. Though with deals like that, I'm very tempted to try to justify it to myself.

 
At 3:51 AM, Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Cool on the Plum Creek book!! I wonder what the early illustrations looked like.

The John Miller book Becoming Laura Ingalls Wilder, mentioned that she thought Garth Williams really captured "Laura." I know that those pictures were part of the fabric of my childhood. I'll hate to see them go.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home