Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Monday, February 19, 2007

Book bleg

We're in the market for a good book (or series thereof, if that's what it takes to be thorough) of American folk tales. Paul Bunyan, Pecos Bill, Johnny Appleseed, and the Uncle Remus tales are ones I know I want included. Illustrated is preferred because the kids like pictures.

I'd rather not do movies. I recall Patrick Swayze did Pecos Bill a few years back but I didn't see it. While I've seen some really bad movies (Howard the Duck, Night of the Demons), I don't know if this is one of them. Is it a worthwhile kiddie flick, or is it like Robin Williams' Popeye (which I've seen too)?
And I don't imagine Disney is going to be releasing a Platinum Edition of Song of the South anytime soon. Which I also vaguely remember seeing in the theater...

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 12:03 PM, Blogger Diane said...

I'd love a book like this, too. I always adored Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox, and his thousand shovelsful of dirt in the St. Lawrence river. I found one book called American Tall Tales, by Mary Pope Osborne, but haven't seen it in person yet. Might be good.

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger Zach said...

I've got a book which is a collection of American folktales. No illustrations, and it's pretty "raw" - both in terms of the quality of the telling and in some of the material (it is from the Frontier and Old West days, after all).

I've used it by reading, learning, and retelling a few of the tales myself rather than just reading out of it.

I can try to find it in the Basement of Chaos and get you edition information if you want. It was an SFBC bargain Way Back When ...


peace,

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Valerie said...

A nice book that contains more than just American folk tales is William Bennett's "A Children's Treasury of Virtues". It is illustrated and has stories of saints, from the Bible, other folk tales, American "heros" (like George Washington, etc.), and some patriotic poetry.

Though you'd rather not do movies, for animated fun Disney has a video called "Legends" which has the stories of John Henry, Johnny Appleseed, Paul Bunyan, and Casey Jones. All six of our kids have loved this and have watched it numerous times.

You might look at the booklist at Elizabeth Foss' website:
http://charlottemason.tripod.com/4real_learning_booklist.htm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home