Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Monday, February 26, 2007

Vignettes

The info:
I got a load and a half of laundry done. Tomorrow's chores will include drafting the kids to put their own clothes away. It's a lot harder than it sounds, trust me.

I did a load and a half of dishes, more to follow now that dinner is done. An empty sink is a beautiful thing.

We did almost all of the school I planned. What didn't get done is a bit of science, two pages on seasons (fall and winter). We live in Michigan; Rachel at two can tell you about seasons. Madeleine could write the four sentences of text.

We had a brief moment of contention. Dale is now four and he's agreed to start some school on a regular basis. It seems Madeleine wasn't expecting another student and thus was quite distracting while Dale and I worked a bit with the letter B. She couldn't focus on math and we had to have a student-teacher conference afterward about sharing Mama's attention.

We finally finished Dale's birthday cake. It was only 8x8 but since my kids are weird and chose grapes for dessert yesterday, we finally finished it off today.

I had a chance to vacuum the living room rug, after which the kids ran in circles for about five minutes on it.

I cleaned off Rachel's chair with some Murphy's oil soap knockoff and her booster seat with disinfectant wipes. She didn't notice but I certainly could tell the difference.

Now for some questions:
Jean's husband--have you made the tandoori chicken yet?

Zach--did you know we would homeschool when we first met in 2001, or did you figure it out later when I started blogging about it?

Daisy--have you started looking at curricula yet? There's a TON out there and choosing is part of the fun!

Diane--have you gotten all of those tests graded yet?

Okay. That about does it.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 6:26 PM, Blogger Zach said...

Heather,

I had a strong hunch. :)


peace,

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Catherine said...

curricula? ton? FUN? La-La-La, I can't hear you!

I'm kidding. I haven't "looked", but we're just getting to the point with potty training that I have confidence in her ability to tell me when she needs to go rather than scream because it hurts. I have thought about what I want though. I want an open curriculum that pretty much just tells me what she needs to know and leaves the how more or less up to me. The exception to this is phonix. I really don't remember learning to read. I'm told I figured it out by myself, they think. She knows all of her upper case letters, and most of her lower case (I did nothing, just put a bunch of magnets on the fridge), and her numbers through 10 and can count to 12. At this point I'm not sure how to get her to put the knowledge of the letters together with the words she verbalizes into reading comprehension. So if you have any suggestions, they're quite welcome!

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Diane said...

I finished the exams on Sunday and got all the grades uploaded just before bedtime. The class average was an 80, which is exactly the same as the average for the multiple choice portion that the Grading Robots scored. So - we could have just skipped the whole essay portion and had the same result. Argh.

Hey - if you ever need help getting rid of cake, we're here to help.

 
At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Heather-
This is Jack's mom. Preschool Jack, in case you know more than one. :) I can't find your number for the life of me so I thought I'd track you down here. Hope that's okay! Jack has been asking about Madeleine and I have some books to return to you so I thought I'd see if you'd like to get together again. My email is grafofoni at comcast dot net, in case you don't have our number.
Kim

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Heather said...

This is a great way to get hold of me! I still have your number so I will call you. Madeleine won't let me forget!

 
At 4:27 AM, Blogger Zach said...

P.S.:

I put the question to Nancy -- "So, did you know back in 2001 that Heather was going to homeschool?"

Her answer was a simple, emphatic "Yes", with hearty undertones of that "of course, wasn't it obvious?" inflection that I've cleverly learned to notice over the years. :)


peace,

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger carlos said...

Jean isn't a big fan of Indian food.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home