Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Today was a great day for Madeleine.

She was wonderful at daily Mass, no big surprise. We then went to the last session of Storytime at our local library. What made today a big deal: she got her library card. I had her take my license and the form up to the librarian, while I stood back with a camera (not digital--sorry). She printed her whole name on the card herself. I know when her handwriting improves it will be time to retire it, but it will go into a scrapbook. She even let her brother use it to check out a Felix the Cat video, while she got Stellaluna and a book on cable cars (for him again).
My father remembered getting his library card; he realized with that, and the ability to read, nobody could stop him from learning about whatever he wanted. I pointed this out to her in the minivan after. Whatever she wanted, mummies from Egypt or princesses or castles or growing a garden of flowers or vegetables or building a house or stories that were true or made-up or anything she could name.
They didn't have The Picture of Dorian Gray, which is the next book in my new reading group. It was at the branch where the kids had swim lessons this evening, so I just asked Dale to pick it up.
Which he did. While Daddy was checking it out, Madeleine and her little brother examined the fish tank.
"Daddy! I know what this sign says! PLEASE DO NOT TAP ON THE GLASS! I sounded it out myself! It's on both sides. I'll show you."

I'm not worried about her reading anymore.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 6:43 AM, Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

That first library card is indeed a special occasion. Maybe Little Brother can get his soon!

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Heather said...

At 3.5, Dale is still in the letter-recognition stage and not yet to writing.

Then again, the librarian said she's for getting them cards as soon as they can write their names. Four letters isn't THAT tough, so maybe it will happen sooner than for his sister.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home