Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Friday, June 30, 2006

Pardon my rant...

I was talking with a friend recently about Feminists for Life, a group I heartily support and admire. She said (I'm paraphrasing), "I like their message, but they aren't really in tune with reality."

Reality. Um, yeah. The reality is that our society is sick--deeply, deeply sick. Our society tells women that it's okay to kill their children before they're born.

As I said, our society is sick. We have super-size portions and extra strength diet pills. We drive our gas guzzling SUVs to the corner store and run on treadmills in the basements. We complain about what's on TV and have the thing on every waking minute.

We are horrified by 13-year-olds having sex, but we buy them belly shirts, navel rings, miniskirts, and thong underwear. We tell them drugs are bad, yet are searching for a pill to cure everything from obesity to baldness to cancer.

No more. The buck stops here, baby. Qaddafi drew his line in the sand; I've drawn mine, but mine ain't movin'. I'm not going to let the A.C.L.U. have more control over my child's education than I do. My kid is not going to learn about Kwanzaa, Ramadan, and Yule but be forbidden to speak of Christmas or even Hannukah. I will not have my children living in fear of expressing their faith.

As my father would have said, "No, Hell no, and uh-uh too."

3 Comments:

At 7:31 PM, Blogger Sarah Reinhard said...

AMEN!

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

My sentiments exactly.

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger Milehimama @ Mama Says said...

So true. We have a "zero tolerance" for childish irresponsibility, and "total tolerance" for sinful behavior.
We buy our 3 year olds bikinis, worry about molestors at their daycare, and continue working lest we sacrifice our lifestyle. We worry about the bird flu and West Nile virus, and then let our kids sicken their minds with MTV and Teen Vogue. We worry about putting together a gourmet meal in 30 minutes or less, but don't give a second thought to the human being begging for food at the freeway off ramp.
I think 'terminal' is more like it.

A nation that kills its children is a nation without hope - Pope John Paul II

 

Post a Comment

<< Home