Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Anne Rice, Part 1

I've been a reader of Anne Rice for some 20 years. Since having kids, though, my literary pursuits have both dwindled to already-owned material and stuff involving childrearing. I'll admit, though, when I heard Anne was writing about Jesus I was quite intrigued.

This is not a book review nor a history of my renewed love; that will be Part 2. I just have some thoughts on her conversion(reversion?) inspired by the letter in the Register this week.

Yes, Mrs. Rice was raised Catholic. We know what that is worth--so were John Kerry, most or all Kennedys, Richard McBrien, and Frances Kissling. She drifted away to atheism, for Heaven's sake. Not just warm fuzzy Unitarianism, or cafeteria Episcopalianism, but all the way out. And she was there for YEARS. She is finding her way back.

And last I heard, conversion is a process, not a destination. Isn't that what Christ was referring to with the Third Luminous Mystery? Or are we spiritually complete once we're obedient Catholics?

I don't condone her views on sex and being Catholic, and I'm not going to pretend they're okay. I will say, though, that quite often the Church's stand on sex is the last stumbling block, and it's a big one. You can find people who go along with the Church on everything but.
Virgin Birth and perpetual virginity? Sure. Apostolic Succession and Petrine primacy? Of course. They can even recite relevant facts to their patron saints and the definition of a sacrament. They know all of the Stations of the Cross and the Mysteries of the Rosary. Their faith extends from that burnished Tabernacle right up to their bedroom door, which remains shut.

Another relevant factor is her only child, her son Christopher, is gay. You can't tell me that nobody would tell her, however inaccurately, that she should abandon or condemn her son on those grounds if she's going to call herself a "believing Catholic." That would give me pause, frankly.

[Deep breath.] Spleen officially vented.

I do recall Mark Shea saying something charitable about her reversion, like keeping in her in our prayers once the media blitz passed. I think that's a more productive outlet than criticizing her attempts.

1 Comments:

At 3:26 AM, Blogger Zach said...

I heard Anne Rice interviewed by Al Kresta last year. It was fascinating.

Yes, she definately needs prayers. I say this not to be snarky about her "liberalism", but matter-of-factly as a new convert exposed to the harsh media glare. If I were in her shoes, I'd want all the prayers I could get.

She made a neat distinction in the interview between "what I think, like, and prefer" and "what the Church teaches." Oh, sure, she prefers the laundry list of dissenter's points (married clergy, women priests, acceptance of homosexuality), but: "I am a believing Catholic." So: she has her (strong!) opinions, but she's happy to submit her will to the Church and trust that the Holy Spirit will work it all out in time.

I thought that displayed a wonderful attitude, and one that [remove names of prominent theologians here] could stand to show.


peace,

 

Post a Comment

<< Home