Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

How do I preserve this?

This morning we got out of the house late for preschool. The clock in the minivan said 8:34 when I started it up; preschool starts at 8:30. Ah, well; losing my temper isn't going to turn back the clock, so why bother?

We are two minutes or a half-mile away from home and The Boy™ starts wailing. It goes like this:

Him: "Little Bob! I want Little Bob!" [his Bob the Builder lovey.]

Me: "It's too late, son. You should have remembered Bob when we were still in the house."

Him, anguished: "I want to go home! Little Bob!"

Me, still calm: "Dale, we're not going back. He'll still be safe at home when we get there for lunch."

Him, louder: "I want Little Bob! Let me out!"

Me, after a deep breath: "We're already late and we're not going back. He's on your bed waiting and he can come to church on Thursday."

Miraculous Madeleine, from the minivan's back row: "Dale, my Charlie is a bear and he's still at home. He'll keep Little Bob safe from monsters. You can sleep with Charlie just for tonight also, if you like."

Him, edging toward calm: "What about Little Bob?"

Madeleine: "You can sleep with them both. It's okay with me if it's okay with Mom."

Yeah. Like I'm going to tell a four-year-old to be stingy with her treasured lovey, the one she's offering out of pure generosity of heart.

1 Comments:

At 6:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

joLooks like you guys are doing something right. Besides praising Maddie for her choice, make sure you and Dale pat yourselves on the back, too. xoxox Mer

 

Post a Comment

<< Home