Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Monday, December 22, 2008

I still cry at Feed the World.

You probably didn't need to know that, but there it is.

I think of how long it's been--24 years! How much money has been spent buying food, paying for its transport, employing aid workers to distribute it... Twenty-four years.

I realize famines have happened since the dawn of time--droughts, crop failures. What has happened in the past is, those who could, left. Of those left behind, I expect most died. There wasn't help coming from overseas to sustain them where they were; the famine came to a grim and cruel conclusion when enough had died off.

So here we are, two and a half decades and millions (billions?) of dollars later, thousands of man-hours spent. And it's still going on. The words of Sam Kinison come to mind: "We're making one trip! We're going to where the food is!" Remember Joseph in the Bible? Even that lasted for only seven years.

I wonder why the same areas are experiencing such conditions for so long. It's not politically correct, I know, to wonder why, but again--there it is. I have a theory or two--the wrong people are getting the money, for one--and I realize it's a whole host of contributing factors.

But if you can watch this video, think of your own children not having enough to eat for their whole lives, and not cry--you are made of stone.



Thanks, Maureen.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home