Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

I'm starting a meme.

Because I really want opinions on this. If I just left it for the comments box, I don't know how many actual replies I'd get.

It's "Ten Books Every Kid Should Have." Or "If you were trapped on a deserted island for a year with your child, which ten kids' books would you want to have?"

1. A good children's Bible. Even if you don't believe, I think in order to be an educated individual you need to be familiar with the stories. If you do believe, you probably already have one in mind!

2. A book of Aesop's fables. See above.

3. A good book of fairy tales. Same as #1. We make references to turning into a pumpkin or asking which dwarf someone is, avoiding the poison apple, etc. We need these.

4. Margot Zemach's It Could Always Be Worse. I remember this one from growing up, and there are days it just gets me through.

5. John Lithgow's Micawber. I've referred to it before. I still like it.

6. Maurice Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are. A boy learning to appreciate home is a nice lesson for us all. Especially if you're trapped on a deserted island.

7, 8, 9, & 10--Treasuries of Virginia Lee Burton, E. B. White, Dr. Seuss, and H. A. Rey. Hey, if you're in it for a year, you want some bang for your buck. I can't choose any particular story from any of those authors and so choose all. Hey, it's my fantasy world.

Now whom do I tag? SuperShelly, CatholicCricket (actually, his wife), Milehimama, Sarah, and Melanie.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 4:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning, Cricket' wife here.

Let's see...
1. The Napping House
2. The Chronicles of Narnia (that may count as 2-8)
3. Black Beauty GIC version
4. Chicka chicka boom boom (child #1's pick)
5. Hey Diddle Diddle (a rewrite with much humor, not sure if i like it more or the kids do) (child #1 again)
6. Tom and Jerry's Party (suggested by child #2)
7. Little Women GIC version
8. Books 1-12 of Father Lovasik's saint series
9. The Secret Garden
10. Swiss Family Robinson

My list may have bent the rules a bit with two series of books. By the way GIC stands for Great Illustrated classics.

11. Child #1 wants me to add The Adventures of Tom Sawyer GIC version.

 
At 5:43 AM, Blogger Diane said...

Let me throw in Alice in Wonderland/Through the Lookingglass. Also, I had a book of Mother Goose nursery rhymes that I read and re-read for many years.

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger Milehimama @ Mama Says said...

I posted on my blog, can you believe I actually completed a meme?

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Heather said...

About Curious George: I like the history of it more than the stories themselves. They rode their bikes out of Nazi Germany with their stories and drawings in the baskets.

I confess: I've never read Narnia. Not a whit. I probably should, oughtn't I? If I can pick up the Little House books as an adult, why not these?

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Catherine said...

I never read Narnia as a child either. But when Kasandra was turning 2, I figured I should read and own books that I want her to read, and those were the first that came to mind. So I bought the whole set in hardback and read them in chronological order (The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe is third, though it was published first). I loved them, and plan to read them to Kasandra probably next year after she's been through some speech therapy so that we can discuss them. They're also super fast, so they won't derail your other reading by much. :)

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Melanie Bettinelli said...

I'm working on my post; but probably won't get it up till after the long weekend.

 
At 5:19 AM, Blogger Sarah Reinhard said...

OK, I'll get on this...but it won't be til tomorrow, Heather. :)

 
At 5:16 AM, Blogger Sarah Reinhard said...

Sorry it took me so long, and now that I'm glancing back over the comments I'm seeing books I forgot - EEK! Anyway, my response is on my blog, here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home