Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Book review

I've mentioned it before but it's been a while (years). It's called Mitten Strings for God by Katrina Kenison. I got it quite early in my motherhood career; I don't remember if it was the summer I was pregnant with Dale or after he was born.
It's a collection of essays about motherhood, slowing down to appreciate your children, seeing things from their perspective. She writes of the moments spent reading together with one of her sons, finding their vacation rhythm, turning off the electronic noise to enjoy the quiet. Instead of hurrying through a walk for the exercise, she sees the value in taking at her sons' pace, stopping to look at a rock that interests one or a plant that interests the other.
The essays are small enough chunks that even a busy mom can squeeze one into a day, and they don't need to be read in order. While it's spiritual, it's not religious in a traditional sense.
I realize now that its influence was one of the reasons we're homeschooling; coming to know your child as a person and not an offshoot of yourself and conforming your world to your family and not the other way around.

I know it's late for Mother's Day, but it could be a worthwhile surprise if that didn't go as hoped.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home