Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

The Holy Spirit moves slowly.

I worked for a year at a Catholic high school. At the Open House (which is in the spring, for prospective students), a principal from a school where I'd subbed attended with his wife and daughter. What a hypocrite, I thought. He works in the public school, but he's considering Catholic school for his own? No wonder he was so unpopular with the staff.
I was certain my own kids would attend public school. I wasn't going to be a hypocrite; work in a system that wasn't good enough for my kids? Not me. My sister, though, was committed to homeschooling of all things. I thought she was completely off her rocker. She maintained her view until the summer after her son turned 5, when he started asking to attend school. Then she found a charter school that she loves, and she sings its praises at every opportunity.
I stuck with my "public school" pretty unwaveringly for more than three years. (Remember the first time we met, Zach?) Then the first cracks started to form.
What about religious education? I wanted better than I'd had, that's for sure. An hour a week plus mass on Sundays ain't enough. I asked a friend who had pulled her kids from Catholic school if their program allowed for just one subject. "Of course. Are you thinking religious ed?" she guessed promptly.
But I kept thinking. If she were going to school for six hours a day, how would she handle another half hour or so of additional class when she got home? How would I? It didn't make sense.
Somewhere in there I met my neighbor. She introduced her family as, "Your friendly neighborhood homeschooling family." They certainly seemed normal, going so far as to let me keep my teaching chops the year I took off after Dale was born by teaching her oldest son some French. [The longtime reader will remember that I got pregnant with Rachel halfway through said year, which was the death knell for my public school career.] They never lacked for neighborhood kids in their yard, either.
Last in chronological order is another Heather, who has used the term "mega-Catholic" to describe me and I think it more applies to her. It came out that they were going to homeschool at a parish book fair where she purchased Lives of the Saints #1-8 or so. We get along like a house aflame (as do our kids, which is nice), so when I asked, "Are you going to homeschool?" and she said, "Oh, yeah," I wondered. What was I missing? We seem to have so much else in common, including leather jackets.
And those other folks in Ann Arbor were so normal and friendly, too...

TO BE CONTINUED...

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 9:07 PM, Blogger momwithbrownies said...

...and here is another Homeschooling Heather who will be at MNO tomorrow. Hope you will come too! :-)

http://www.peanutbutterkisses.blogspot.com/

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Sarah Reinhard said...

Well aside from the "folks in Ann Arbor being pretty normal" part of your post (JOKING, JOKING...it /is/ football season, you know!) :)

I really relate to your post, Heather! I can't seem to get away from homeschooling and, ironically (to me, at least), I too have a public school background, or at least the start of one. The Holy Spirit has to move slowly with me, because otherwise he'd drive over me and leave me in the dust. I'm a slow learner! That said, sometimes when things like this are cultivated slowly, you become more invested in them...

Can't wait for the next installment! :)

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger Heather said...

I don't mean THOSE folks in Ann Arbor. Ick.
I mean the homeschooling family of six Dale met at a Catholic convert board, Eclectic Amateur.
*Those* are the normal folks I mean. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home