Domestic Bliss Report

Motherhood is hard work. If we don't stick together, we'll all fall apart.

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Bibliophile alert

We are readers here. I remember books I had back in the day and I want them for my kids, too. I figure if I remember them twenty or thirty years later, they had to be good. Like The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (we have it--still in print, even!). Mrs. Learmont read that to us in third grade. I dated a guy who'd never heard of it, poor soul. So I made a tape of myself reading it and sent it to him as he'd taken an internship across the country. I hope he has it for his son now. The book, not the tape. Don't care about the tape.
Another I remember is The Little Leftover Witch. Mrs. Hahn read that to us in second grade and I later made my mother get us a copy that I read to pieces. It would be great to read at Halloween, like she did. Maybe next year we'll have one. [HOLY COW, I just looked that one up on Amazon. Guess I'm not the only one who remembers it fondly!]
Now I've got The Thanksgiving Treasure (Mrs. Learmont again, but in fifth grade) bumping around in my head. I think there was even a TV special about this one but I don't remember actually watching it.

You know, just about every day I'm reminded of what a blessing it is I married the guy I did. He actually understands this book thing.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 6:35 AM, Blogger Catherine said...

Yeah, I get that. So would my husband. On our first date, we spent a couple of hours in Barnes & Noble. He took the day off today, since his company is sending us to the Garth Brooks concert (an atta-boy for serving our country, as he's headed out for a deployment again in the spring), and we plan on doing it again today. No kids (thanks, Grandma), just us and a bookstore. I hope we don't break the bank.

And I've always had a thing for rhyme. We used to read a "turkey book" (I can't remember the name) that had all the traditional turkey leftovers listed and set to iambic pentameter. It used to be as stuck in my head as Tom's Diner. (sorry)

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Melanie Bettinelli said...

"You know, just about every day I'm reminded of what a blessing it is I married the guy I did. He actually understands this book thing."

Me too. I especially appreciated it when he didn't grumble (too much) when we had to move 40 boxes of books this summer.

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger Kasia said...

I absolutely loved The Thanksgiving Treasure and its companion book The House Without a Christmas Tree. The Best Christmas Pageant Ever was enjoyable too, but I only read it a few times, not over and over and over again like I did with the other two...sigh, now I'm going to have to go home and see if I still have them so I can read them yet again...

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Melanie--
Dale wouldn't have any room to knock my books. Three-quarters of the ones we have are his.
Maybe two-thirds.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home